General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Loosing power steering fluid. Have pics of problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loosing power steering fluid. Have pics of problem

So I recently started to hear a whining noise comning from my car and soon learned that I was running low of power steering fluid. The power steering still works, but I am loosing a lot of fluid and have to refill it now every week or about every 150 miles.

I attatched this picture to get opinions on what the actual problem could be and how much it should cost when I take it in to get fixed.

When I looked underneath the car it looked like the fluid was coming out of this connection that I have drawn to with an arrow. Also the fluid color is all orange and I don't know if that is normal or not because the new fluid I have been putting in is more of a clear color.

Any help or suggestions are welcome . Thx.
Attached Thumbnails Loosing power steering fluid. Have pics of problem-power-steering-leak.jpg  
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

that connection got a rubber O-ring ..unscrew put a new ring and then tight it . problem solved
color seem to be normal for me but can be wrong . it will get clear if you drain everything and then fill again
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're sure it's coming from that fitting rather than than rubber boot underneath? if it's coming from the boot, you'll need a new steering rack. otherwise, replace the fitting.

Last edited by sdm1234; 08-28-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Yea it's definately coming out of that fitting, but I can't tell if its leaking anywhere else since there is so much fluid all over the bottom left side of the car. Tomorrow I have the day off and will see if I can find a replacement part and clean up all the mess under there and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah it looks like the fitting is leaking and not the rack thankfully
Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Teching In

When my power steering leaked it leaked more at the top so it dripped to my alternator and fried it