Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spies in your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spies in your car

If you wanted to learn more about what some call the Black Box that stores info of what you were doing at the time of a crash or in fact was just going too fast, read the details here :

CDR module

Notice even the cops can download this info from just using a laptop and the ADLC.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Spies in your car

From what that says, it implies that it isn't recording data unless you are in an "impact event" or in a "near impact event." My guess is that if you're just speeding, it doesn't really care... Am I right or wrong here?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

big brother bullshit!!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:03 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more reason to unplug the air bag controller.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Impact event, is a one time write, once the bag is tripped the data is burned in and cannot be erased, the module has to be replaced.

Near impact data is overwritten so any time it is triggered the new values are saved. This could be as simple as hard on the gas like at the track and then hard on the brakes.

There is some good to having a decent PCM scanner that also monitors SDM ( Airbag). I use the Ease Pro and just last week a guy with a problem getting weird DTC error codes came by.

Using my Ease scanner and looking at SDM signal set I found the dealer had replaced the airbag electronics last year since the car was in a crash and found the dealer installed a 2002 SDM module in this 99 C5 and a 99 PCM could not talk to a 2002 SDM.

From what that says, it implies that it isn't recording data unless you are in an "impact event" or in a "near impact event." My guess is that if you're just speeding, it doesn't really care... Am I right or wrong here?
Old 05-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Launching!

any1 know what year f-bodys have these? While removing my AIR system the other day I noticed an electrical box next to it, wondered if thats what that was.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found an air-bag control box under the console on the trans hump in my 2001 SS.