Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tunning/vaccum question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tunning/vaccum question...

need some info from the experts. To make a long story short, I just got done doing a MS3 cam/243 heads/ UD pulley/CAI/LT header install on an 04 GTO. Hours away from finishing I broke an intake manifold bolt inside the head. I know I know .

I was originally going to leave it there, seeing as how there are 5 bolts on each side of the manifold and seeing that they are not really torqued that tight I figured that this one missing was not going to be a huge deal. I told my tuner and he said that the bolt needed to be in because we would loose vaccum and that would bring chaos to the tune.

Tried everything to get it out and no dice. The bolt was flush with the head and made it even harder. Tried the easy out, screwdriver, drill etc. I am just making this huge hole in the head and it is not looking pretty.

Just wanted another point of view. Is he right?, is it that critical? Wanted to get more info before I decide what to do, I really hope I do not have to take off the head again.

thanks alot
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Teching In

last bump for the night. Any info is appreciated, want to see if I can finally get it to the tuner this weekend.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

You will probably have a small vacuum leak on that port. It is best to replace it but it won't be easy. A similar thing happened to a buddy's 04 GTO when we were working on it. It took the better part of 3 hours to fix it. We had to drill out the broken bolt, it was almost flush with the head, and tap the hole for a new one. just take your time and do it right.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

crap, thanks radkon
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

the way i remove broken bolts is to get a set of left handed drill bits, then take a small big and drill a whole into the bolt about an inch or so long then get a few sizes bigger and put it in the whole but go really slow while pushing down hard and hopefully it will start to pull the bolt out good luck!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

when i said small big i meant small bit sorry