New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust & Header questions.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust & Header questions.

I have an 02 Collectors Edition TA with a lid and adjustable borla cat back system...everything else is stock. I'm thinking of going with the mac mids instead of long tubes. I know LT's give more power and torque, but I still think I'm gonna stick with the mac w/cats. Question...how much horsepower gain can I expect with the mids over stock, and also how much difference is there between the mids and LT's. I know the exhaust sounds different from stock than with headers, but I want to know which exhaust would sound better with the mac's. I really don't like the deep throaty sound like the borla's have, I'm looking for a higher pitch that sounds clean. I want it to scream when opened up. I listened to clips on ls1 sounds, but found very little with the mac mid's with no engine work, and most had LT's with ORY, so I can't get a good idea. Is there a big sound difference between LT's and mids in loudness and or pitch? Thinking of the Dynomax Bullet. Would the bullet sound better or higher pitched with the mac's rather than the borla? You tell me...I really don't know. Any help will greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by namrog; 08-29-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

power difference between mids and LTs is probably about 5hp peak, although some say that mid-range power is nearly identical.

the big difference between your typical LT setup and mids will be that fact that you'll have cats (or sounds like you're planning to have them).

when you say you don't like the sound of borla....which plate are you running? an open plate is basically a cutout...

the muffler on the borla is basically an oversized bullet...so it's a bit milder in tone and loudness.

the magnaflow sounds pretty sweet on a catted exhaust, mellow rumble at idle and low speed and it SCREAMS at wot. not to mention its about 1/2 the $$ of borla.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Buddy had macs on his ls6 SS camaro. Lid and a home made 3 1/2in and a dynomax bullet. It sounds cool as hell but it's deep. That huge pipe is different than any I've heard.... Loved it. He now put on Kooks headers and he said there was a noticable difference power. I haven't heard this one yet. I had SLP longtubes with an LM1. With the cats it was loud, without them, they were insane. When my motor goes back together, I'm going Kook's stepped, 2.5 in x-pipe into magnaflow mufflers and out my old SLP tips. Do you like the loudmouth. I know someone who will have one for sale real soon... But without tips.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would u go with mids you could just get long tubes for like 500 dollars believe me ull feel the difference as for the exhaust sound u should do what i did at first
get the headers and take your muffler off but leave the cats that makes a very loud clean sound i got so many compliments on how my car sounded when i had that set up
Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

here is the sould you are looking for i believe but i have no idea what exhaust he is using. o and dont listen to the guy at the end
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

From the sounds of what you want you may want to look at a TSP rumbler catback.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Ya heres my tsp catback exhaust I bought it off craigs list for 100 dollers I like it except for the tips thinking about changing them later.

Last edited by WannaBcamaroguy; 09-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Smile

You could go with mid length headers and put an E-exhaust cutout on it.
Im sure it will sound better than stock.
Its just an idea.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Teching In

180ls1...you got it. That's the sound I'm looking for. Not the typical deep v8 rumble at all. Probably not a typical sound for a TA either, but I like it. I'm wondering if that was the corsa exhaust. I went to their website and listened to the clips...sounds like the pace car edition. Sucks though if it is, it's only for vetts. Thanks for everyones advise...really appreciate it. Gonna check into the tsp rumbler...along with some others. Thanks again ya'll.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

That sounds like a Corsa exhaust to me. Great exhaust systems btw.

The LS1 Vettes have always sounded much different than the F-bodies though, I'd blame most of that on the true duel vs Y exhaust. IMO I like the Corvettes better, it's smoother, more exotic, yet unmistakably an American V8. The Corsa F-body exhaust sounds nothing like that of the Vettes. I can honestly say there's only 1 F-body that I thought sounded good, no matter what system, and that was the stock SLP CME.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

here is the sould you are looking for i believe but i have no idea what exhaust he is using. o and dont listen to the guy at the end
Did that guy say high thirteens? Tell him to pass whatever he is smoking please.

I have Hooker LT's with a Corsa Cat-back and I aways get complements on the way my car sounds. Of course it does have a pretty big lope cause of the cam... oh and no cats. The only thing I would complain about is sometimes my setup sounds a little too loud. Like people can hear me three blocks away loud with just normal driving. Of course if you don't care about those stupid noise pollutions laws and have no real common courtesy then go with the LT's instead of the mids.

Search this Thread