Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Hell :( plZ hElp

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Hell :( plZ hElp

Let me give you a little background before you make your opinions....

The car just got a new battery 5 months ago... GM Replacement under warranty, the previous one started leaking.

OK now down to the hot **** ..
When I am driving the car the voltage guage moves under 13 and comes back up and goes under again.. It does this sporadicly .. Very strange .. I am running a smaller crank pulley so I thought if I revved the engine up faster that I would stop, this isn't the case. It seems to do it at all RPM ranges .. Any thoughts????
Old 05-27-2003, 09:53 PM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Electrical Hell :( plZ hElp

Check all your ground leads.
behind the DS head.
next to the Alt located on the block.
underneath # 5 cyl on the block.

If no conclusive fix at that point, make sure your not melting the wire harness on the pass side by the header.

still nothing? Make sure your tensioner is working properly if so, then change the Alt after confirmed on a battery tester the same voltage dip to rule out the gague.

Joe.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to any parts store and get the alternator checked that may be bad, thats what it sounds like, btw, I would never trust warranty work, just spend 60 bucks and get a new batt. yourself
Old 05-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Launching!

IMO, it sounds like a problem with the voltage regulator in you alternator... take the advice above and get it checked out at the auto store.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Joe .. DS Head? WTF is that!! hehe

Thanks for all the advice all I will check it out, I have a mac tools battery/alternator load tester and I will give it a shot!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 AM
JPR
TECH Fanatic

DS= "driver side" .

Joe
Old 05-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I went through a similar ordeal with my 98. I let the dealer change out the battery, that was leaking too. Well long story short, the leaking acid was eating the battery hot lead from the inside out. I guess the leakage got down into the fibers and caused all kinds of wierd things. After the dealer replace another battery within 6 months I said enough. I got out the ole simpson and "wrung out," twisted the hell out of that cable and found the problem. The whole cable which runs from the bat to the acc post, alt, starter was 54 bucks from the same dealer who could not find the problem in the first place. Note I had to fabricate a little skinny 1/2" wrench to get under the post on the alternator-stoopid thing spins if you don't. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Launching!

I went through a similar ordeal with my 98. I let the dealer change out the battery, that was leaking too. Well long story short, the leaking acid was eating the battery hot lead from the inside out. I guess the leakage got down into the fibers and caused all kinds of wierd things. After the dealer replace another battery within 6 months I said enough. I got out the ole simpson and "wrung out," twisted the hell out of that cable and found the problem. The whole cable which runs from the bat to the acc post, alt, starter was 54 bucks from the same dealer who could not find the problem in the first place. Note I had to fabricate a little skinny 1/2" wrench to get under the post on the alternator-stoopid thing spins if you don't. Just a thought.

Good point .. I should have them check that
Old 05-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Let me ask you ... What about the ground cable does it come off the car in the same fashion or do u have to replace the entire wiring harness?