LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ok replaced the water pump..possible problem..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok replaced the water pump..possible problem..

Was going to throw on an EWP. I drained the radiator but still as I disconnected some hoses and even the bottom bolts coolant is everywhere!! I had cups and paper towels handy and they were put to use..yet the opti still got coolant on it how normal is this and how screwed am I??
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Yea, your block houses an *** load of coolant. Just let it dry out really well and hope for the best. You can fire up the car without the wp or radiator in the car but you can't let it run for more than a minute or two. I've done it plenty of times to make sure my opti isn't junk before I button everything up.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

should be ok. let it dry out or take the cap off and see if any leaked inside. however, they are sealed alot better then they get credit for.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

I would crank up the car but the tranny and D/S is out,starter disconnected-all that good stuff.
Also with installing the EWP its already been modified to fit right, I was told I just need to plug he freeze plug in through the back? Can someone please clue me in? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Should be fine man, but there is the chance "**** happens", open it up and find out if you are really worried.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
I would crank up the car but the tranny and D/S is out,starter disconnected-all that good stuff.
Also with installing the EWP its already been modified to fit right, I was told I just need to plug he freeze plug in through the back? Can someone please clue me in? Thanks!
Yea, you'll have to put a freeze plug in the back of the water pump. I also used some loctite around the freeze plug.
If the tranny and everything is out, just put everything back together minus the water pump and radiator and fire it up for a second. If not just pop the cap off of the distributer. It takes an inverted torx head socket. If you don't have one take a torx head bolt out of the little plastic plate on top of the stock throttle body and put in some vise grips to remove the dist. bolts.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if so inclined, you could take this opportunity to replace the opti to an after market unit.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSXNV
if so inclined, you could take this opportunity to replace the opti to an after market unit.
Its already the MSD. Despite all the recent negative hype mine has held strong through a lot of abuse, so we shall see.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 AM
Launching!

If its an MSD then the bolt trick out of the throttle body may not work then. I know it works on a factory style opti.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:53 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I wiped it dry and everything tommorow Ill take the cap off. Little off topic with but I have a question about the thermostat. I noticed how it just floats there on the top of the water pump, how do the 160* and all of them for that matter function to lower the temps? Never understood that.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They let the coolant out of the engine and into the radiator sooner (160*vs195*) to cool down thus keeping the engine cooler. To take full effect of a 160* stat, you have to program the fans to come on sooner and stay on longer. If you dont you wont notice much of a temp drop. Also, make sure you get a stat that is for a reverse flow 350, some people have put in a stat from a regular flow 350v8 they will not work right in a LT1.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, the older SBC with a 160 with a fan on at all times will not stay cool sometimes because the stock radiator will not cool the water due to the stat opening so soon it does not have time to cool the water inside.

Quick Reply: Ok replaced the water pump..possible problem..