Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just got my K&N Cai!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got my K&N Cai!!

I just got my K&N Cai installed on my LS1 GTO A4 and it defnitely feels like it improved throttle response and it makes a nice little whistle sound. I also think it will improve gas mpg a little more. I also have a diablosport tune so hopefully in a few months when it's cooler I can get into the mid 13's. I definitely recommend K&N Cai. It looks good under the hood and I'm sure it will give a little hp when it can draw in cool air instead of these heat.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Pics and part numbers please.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

i got one as well. i am happy with it. i cant tell any dif in performance but i am sure it helps
Old 09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

I've been thinking about getting one, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I work in parts, so I can get a good deal, and my warranty is up in 30 days, so...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004
Pics and part numbers please.
www.marylandspeed.com
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deadlift
i got one as well. i am happy with it. i cant tell any dif in performance but i am sure it helps
I think CAI's help when your in cool weather. It's more efficient at bringing in that cool air than the stock system. Even K&N says the best way to test in is on a cool day.

Btw with diablosport and K&N Cai combined I've got my gaz guzzling A4 up to 25-26 mpg on the highway. With Borla being my next mod and them claming to help with gas mpg I hope I can get up to 27-29 mpg.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

All the aftermarket CAI's do not aid in bringing in cooler air. They get the air from the same place the stock box gets it from. They should be called air intakes but not "Cold" air intakes. You can get the same performance gain with the stock box. It will just be lacking the bling factor. Not an opinion, a fact. Do some research on ls1gto.com
Old 09-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
All the aftermarket CAI's do not aid in bringing in cooler air. They get the air from the same place the stock box gets it from. They should be called air intakes but not "Cold" air intakes. You can get the same performance gain with the stock box. It will just be lacking the bling factor. Not an opinion, a fact. Do some research on ls1gto.com
Don't need to do no research. I've been a member of ls1gto.com for a while now. There have been all kind of debates on intake and if it's worth it. I say to each his own.

The K&N is better designed to give the engine cool air than the stock box. The guy who installed it showed me the difference when the took the stock one off. Plus the K&N gives the engine a nice little sound. I didn't buy the CAI expecting any significant performance gains. What I do notice is better mpg, better throttle response, and a nice little whistle. The gas mpg gains from K&N along with how she looks under the hood made it worth it for "me".

With diablosport/K&N Cai I've jumped to 25-26 mpg on the highway in my gas guzzling A4. Of course people who buy CAI expecting nice hp/tq gains should save their money but if they're looking at the all-around value I'd say go for it.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Ive got a AEM CAI. They all work about the same. I do like the heat shield better on the K&N. At the track the other day, a few guys took off their driver side head light which gave it a pretty much straight shot of cold air directly to the K&N filter. I say even if it only gains you 5 hp, thats still 5 more hp than before.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Isn't the AEM the oil-less filter system? The AEM is just a tad more expensive than the K&N FIPK, but I like the lack of oil in the filter. Any noticeable drawbacks from an oil-less filter?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jamesSS
Ive got a AEM CAI. They all work about the same. I do like the heat shield better on the K&N. At the track the other day, a few guys took off their driver side head light which gave it a pretty much straight shot of cold air directly to the K&N filter. I say even if it only gains you 5 hp, thats still 5 more hp than before.
I agree.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004
Isn't the AEM the oil-less filter system? The AEM is just a tad more expensive than the K&N FIPK, but I like the lack of oil in the filter. Any noticeable drawbacks from an oil-less filter?
None-oil air filters are much better than oiled airfilters. Oiled airfilters channel dust into your motor and cause an increased ingress of dirt. If you don't believe me, get a before and after engine oil analysis (changing your engine oil in between) and see for yourself. I switched to AEM Dryflow on my Z28 a long time ago because of this.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Have you scanned your IATs to see if there is a difference? And if so what were the results?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cyborg
None-oil air filters are much better than oiled airfilters. Oiled airfilters channel dust into your motor and cause an increased ingress of dirt. If you don't believe me, get a before and after engine oil analysis (changing your engine oil in between) and see for yourself. I switched to AEM Dryflow on my Z28 a long time ago because of this.
Only people that have problem with pre-oiled are the ones that over oil them when they clean them causing it to coat the MAF.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Only people that have problem with pre-oiled are the ones that over oil them when they clean them causing it to coat the MAF.
Overoiling is a separate issue. The point I was making, in response to Phantom&RedGoat2004 inquiry about the AEM Dryflow & non-oiled filters in general, is that non-oiled filters filter much better than oiled filters. Oiled filters do a poor job of filtration. This can be illustrated via engine oil analysis which I have done in the past, and it was explained to me by Terry Dyson www.dysonanalysis.com that I was seeing elevated levels of dirt in my motor because of running an oiled air filter, which was corrected by going to the Dryflow. This is probably much more of a problem for FI cars, but I though I'd mention it in this thread since Phantom&RedGoat2004 brought it up.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cyborg
Overoiling is a separate issue. The point I was making, in response to Phantom&RedGoat2004 inquiry about the AEM Dryflow & non-oiled filters in general, is that non-oiled filters filter much better than oiled filters. Oiled filters do a poor job of filtration. This can be illustrated via engine oil analysis which I have done in the past, and it was explained to me by Terry Dyson www.dysonanalysis.com that I was seeing elevated levels of dirt in my motor because of running an oiled air filter, which was corrected by going to the Dryflow. This is probably much more of a problem for FI cars, but I though I'd mention it in this thread since Phantom&RedGoat2004 brought it up.
So you wouldn't recommend K&N or any other CAI that come pre-oiled??
Old 09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Working in parts, I would have to say that I agree with Cyborg. Not only are there problems with people over-oiling, but I can see the logic (and reference) that he's used to draw his conclusion that oil attracts dirt - Think of what happens when you drop a greasy bearing in the dirt. I'm 100% positive that K&N makes excellent quality performance parts, but you've read my personal opinion on oiled filters, and I'm going to stay away from them myself, so why would I recommend a product I wouldn't use? It has crossed my mind to buy a K&N FIPK and replace the filter with an AEM, but I haven't done any research on PN's for that at all yet.

EDIT:
Replacemnet filter PN's
K&N PN: RF-1048
AEM PN: 27-10020DK

Last edited by Phantom&RedGoat2004; 09-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Just got my K&N Cai!!