LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

not getting spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not getting spark

what would cause an LT1 car to not get spark besides the coil, and ignition control module
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Opti itself or its wiring harness. Also 10 amp ignition fuse under the hood.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Rotor could have fallen off or exploded. The optical sensor may not be sending good signal to the PCM.

First step would be to determine if there is spark coming out of the coil. If so, the problem is in the cap and rotor side of the opti. If not, keep looking. Make sure the ignition control module is getting 12 volts.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:01 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Opti, why do you do this to us????
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

o.k let me give you all the whole story.

my car was sitting for about a 1 1/2 years. it is kept in a barn it TX. at my parents house and i live in Cali. well i go home for vacation fire it up and it starts right up, but i notice a bad miss so i dirve it out the barn open the hood and between the water pump i could see the spark jumping around inside the opti so right away i turn it off and go buy an opti from the dealership. i change it start the car it fires right up,but still sounds a little off so i pull a plug and see that it is fowled, come to find out they are all fowled. i had TR6's in it but i change them all out with new TR5's. i start the car and it is music to my ears. i let it warm up for about 5 min the whole time just listining to the sound of that 396 camming like a mother. then i get in and as i go to move it i forget the parking brake was on so as i eased out of the clutch i dident give it much gas and it died. i see the brake is on feel like an idiot for a second release the parking brake and go to start it again and NOTHING. the car just turns over and over but dosent start. at first i thought i was out of gas so i get a gas can and put some in but still dosent start. my dad tells me that it sounds like it's not getting spark so i pull the coil wire have my brother try to start it and see that there is no spark from the coil to the coil wire. first thought is that my coil just went bad so i replace it and still nothing, then i replaced the ignition control moduel and stll nothing. now i might be wrong but dosent spark come from the coil before it gets to the opti so how could it be the opti that is the problem.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

cause it sends a signal to the ecm to fire the coil. it also effects the injectors aswell.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
cause it sends a signal to the ecm to fire the coil. it also effects the injectors aswell.

damn i did not want to here that. o'well i guess the opti is comming back of. i just cant believe how thay can go like that.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

don't feel bad my 2nd brand new msd was allowing my car to run but was making it run lean. we changed the plugs, icm, coil, maf and checked the wires. it was still missing , you could see it on the dyno. we even went though the injector constants changing sizes trying to see if they sent me the wrong size injectors. brand new ac delco 02's and everything. so i am going back to a factory opti in about 1 hour. screw the opti, i hate it with a passion

Quick Reply: not getting spark