Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I shed a tear tonight...RIP SSG Michael Deason

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I shed a tear tonight...RIP SSG Michael Deason

Long but i would apprieciate the read:

A year ago i stood in the sand of iraq listening to my patrol leader brief his combat patrol....some say there is no such thing as combat over there anymore. I beg to differ. Because in the city of Adwar (near tikrit...where saddam was found) the fundamentalist waged war every day on CLPS and patrols every day...and became quite good at massing casualties. There i stood a hardened combat veteran listening to the patrol brief wondering if the day and heat would ever end. Only 5 more days until i leave this smelly, hot, horrible place is what i was telling myself. SSG deason was the patrol leader. A giant of a man, 6'5'' 260lbs maybe more. A very intense but kind man. As we loaded into our 4 M1114's we talked of our strategy on driving through downtown Adwar. Our only mission was to make it through and back to show our 82nd brothers the land. The ride there was bland. Nothing out of the ordinary. Many IED holes lined the road. Once the city came into site we got a call from another unit conducting a raid in the area....our buddies from 5th group special forces. We began into the market area the streets were more crouded then usual. People seemed more on edge and willing to take risks with us. Many cars tried there luck in passing the patrol, only to meet the business end of a Benelli 12ga. Once through the market a sigh of relief came over the patrol. Radio chatter began to pick up and everyone in the truck finally started talking. 1/2 the mission was over with. A quick stop at the Iraqi army complex and off we were back through the town. Somehow SSG deasons truck took the tail spot and my truck assumed the 3rd. There it was (and i will never forget the way it looked) the market. Almost dead quiet. Maybe 30 people in 3 blocks. OK now our senses became very focused. As we entered the market we heard a burst from the lead trucks 240b and then we stopped and silence. No one said a word and no radio chatter. Just as my TC (truck commander) picked up the mic there was a deffening Boom Boom Boom! followed by and intense heat. All together the turrets of 2 and 3 truck began to spin backwards to eliminate this hostile threat. 50 and 240 barking it was to no avail. This time it was a hit and run.

3 hand thrown armour piercing grenades were the weapon of choice.

SSG Deason....a NCO for the soldiers was the TC that day in the 4th truck.

SSG Michael Lee Deason KIA 31 aug 06 RIP my friend http://www.defenselink.mil/Releases/...ReleaseID=9898

till we form again ...Rakkasans

EDIT: and tonight i realize i am 30 days from wheels up on my second tour...this time to southern bagdhad.....and i am ready!

Last edited by Striped02WS6; 08-31-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Umm.. RPGs? What happened to him exactly...

BTW I have been through the same **** so I feel your pain man....you did everything you could....

There will always be what ifs, but again..that's all they are...is what ifs.

I'm sorry about your friend/leader though, its tough.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Launching!

damn bro sucks to hear about that. GL with your 2nd tour and most of all thanks man for what u do everyday and a lot of people dont even reconize u for it. thanks again bro.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

3 hand thrown RKG-3 armor piercing grenades ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RKG-3_anti-tank_grenade ) hit the truck....ill leave the gore and caos that follows out of it....basically one penetrated the top of the truck directly above his seat and made a hole about the size of a beach ball.....bled out in about 30 seconds through the femoral

and thanks alot muddman it means alot

because of this man and his actions i am now an NCO and base alot of what i do off of his guidelines
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 AM
Launching!

im an AF kid so i have a slight idea of how the life style is but not a single clue about how the war is goin. im guess CNN doesnt get the whole story. my dad retired last sept. 22 years and my grandpa also retired AF

and it means alot to me what u guys do for the county and the sad thing was is that i was just kinda upset cause my headers are on back order. opened my eyes up alot
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 AM
Launching!

****..never had to deal with grenades that serious...

Again I'm sorry about what happened..and believe me..no details about the gore needed...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for your loss, RIP brother, I pray for his family

Rob
SSgt USMC
OP Viking Iraq
Supporting 5/7 Cav
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Striped02WS6
EDIT: and tonight i realize i am 30 days from wheels up on my second tour...this time to southern bagdhad.....and i am ready!
I'd rather live one day with the lions than 10,000 years with the sheep Stay safe.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Launching!

BTW Where you headed to in south Baghdad....I spent 12 months at FOB Falcon.....
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is the Soldier,
not the reporter who has given us freedom of press

It is the Soldier,
not the poet who has given us freedom of speech

It is the Soldier,
not the campus organizer who gives us freedom to demonstrate

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,

-Unknown
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and a great American.

Stay safe, kick some *** and know that there are a lot of us that appreciate and support EVERYTHING you guys do over there.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

thanks for all the words guys....i know there are alot of people out there who are really behind us and we are thankful....this man was a great Non Commissioned Officer and a great friend....

about where we are going ...our battalion is going to FOB Mahmodia...my company is going to the patrol base down the road ....if the name sounds farmiliar its because its the same place where those 3 soldiers were captured a few months back....the place is pretty hot i hear...

that quote about the lions and the sheep is great...i will remember that one...
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank You so much for your efforts. You mean alot to me, your what are country stands for. Im proud that there are men like you out there to protect us . God Bless you, you will be in my prayers along with your other comrads.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

I'm trying to think of something worthy to say, to commemorate your friends life.

Failing to think of anything clever.

So be safe, matey.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Godspeed Soldier. Thank you for helping keep America safe. I'm sorry about the loss of your fellow brother in arms. Stay safe and be well my friend.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Remeber...better to be tried by 12, than carried by six...take care my friend!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

yes better to be tried by 12 then burried by 6....that was my saying last time i have a feeling this time will be a bit more intense thanks for all the words fellas it means alot
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys make us proud!!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for your loss. My prayers as always to all my brothers and sisters in service serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM

I dont know who Striped02WS6 is, he knew mike, but I can tell you from his descriptions that he defiantly was not there when this happened. His details are close but they are not accurate. I appreciate him remembering Mike but trying to make himself out to be someone and someplace he wasnt doesnt fly. My guess is that you were in 1st plt and are just retelling this story. But anyway oh well! RIP Stalker

Quick Reply: I shed a tear tonight...RIP SSG Michael Deason