Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

diagnose my problem please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default diagnose my problem please....

alright heres the back story. I was racing a sti and went to get on the brakes and the pedal went really hard, braking force was seriously about non existent after that brake fluid was smelt i thought i just over heated them from the 100+ slow downs to 30ish....

tonight I went to the 1/4 mile track and on my second run the CLUTCH pedal stuck to the floor on my 1-2 shift and I had to literally put the car in neutral and pull it up with my foot. I popped the hood and found brake fluid overflowing out of the brake fluid reservoir so whats the deal here?

the car is on a stock clutch with less than a 1,000 miles on the heads/cam so i dont think its the stock clutch and I wouldn't think that it sticking to the floor is a sign of it going.

Does this have something to do with the master cylinder?

please help guys.

Chad
Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Junkie

well the clutch sticking to the floor is hydrolics related. do you have the drill mod- if not look it up it helps out.

For the brake fluid overflowing- check to see how much fluid you have in the resivore. You may also have a backup somewhere in the lines.

It seems to me that you have 2 different problems but seem to be happening at the same time.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

^^^what he said on the two different problems. you might have a crimp in your line somewhere on the overflow issue.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM
wrencher

Have seen numerous stock clutches do this. They stick to the floor alot.
Specially when your making power, the worse it gets.
Yours sounds extra severe w/ boiling the fluid out the clutch master reservoir.
the stock pressure plate's dont have alot of holding power. You are powering thru the clutch & centrifical force will keep the diaphram spring of the P/P in the release posisition at high RPM. that helps the pedal sinking. Clutch overheats, heats fluid etc.

Bottom line,you need a good clutch & some hydraulic system upgrades.
I am telling you from experience, just do it right the first time & be done with it.
recommend the drill mod & an adjustable master as well.