Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best buffer and pad

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best buffer and pad

My Sears random orbital 9 inch buffer is good for general stuff, but I need something better for polishing. I eliminated the DeWalt 849 because it only takes their pads, but am considering the 7424 Porter Cable and wanted to know if it takes everyone else's pads. Are there any limitations with the 7424? It's a 6 inch buffer, but can I put on a 7 or 9 inch pad? Will Vecro do the job or do I need a hook system? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Porter Cable will hold different pads. Not sure about the 7 and 9 inch pads, I haven't tried that. There are limitations to the PC, it is not a rotary. But also is pretty much mistake proof. Great all around buffer. I have used mine for years and only had a few jobs that it showed its limitations. Major swirl marks and deep scratches are best done with the rotary. Tropi-Care sells a kit that includes the buffer, backing plate, pads and bonnets for a great price. Let me know and I can get one headed your way.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We now have added the Ultimate Detailing Machine(UDM) to our list of offerings. Check it out at www.tropi-care.com.

Features and comparison here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/774364-ultimate-detailing-machines-udm-here.html

The UDM offers near rotary polisher performance without the fear of burning the clearcoat. Up to 20% more power compared to similar featured machines come in this unit.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

the pc is a 6" pad and it will take you longer to get done but the plus is, is that its mistake proof like stated above. the dewalt is the best way to go. dont let sears tell you that you cant use any other backing pad. i use a dewalt 849 with a 9" 3m hook it backing pad on a daily basis is works awesome. i use the 3m trizcat wool or white foam pad for buffing compound, the green pad for swirl remover, and the black pad for polishing and if i go a step farther the blue pad for the ultrifina. i also have a snap on buffer(discountinued) that is even better then the dewalt, but supposively dewalt made it.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Its a good thing you eliminated the DeWalt since it takes practice to get good results with a rotary, its not a tool for beginners. The PC 7224 on the other hand is a good tool for beginners, way better than that 9" random orbital. The UMD is essentially the same thing but with a more powerful motor so it doesn't bog down. Another thing is you don't want to use pads any bigger than 6.5", personally I think the 5" pads work better but that's just my preference.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Porter & Cable 7424 and love it. I've detailed 3 cars with it and did wonders on my dd a 95 Honda. I was also able to get out some pretty bad scratches on my b/f's 95 Z. Also got rid of some serious oxidation on his rear bumper. Looks like new now! I bought all of my stuff from www.Autogeek.net They have a good write up on how to use the P&C which helped me out along with some videos too so check it out.

Here's a pic of the before and after. I had to use the yellow then the orange pad for these bad scratches.

Before:

After:

The honda had serious orangepeel on the rear quarter panel so I wetsanded it then buffed the shine right back with the yellow and orange

One side wetsanded

Other side which looked like the other. At this point as you can see I had the front 3/4 already buffed back to a nice shine

Last edited by Flamin' bird; 09-02-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Best buffer and pad