LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carbeurated LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbeurated LT1

Are there any carbuerated lt1 setups out there? Any advans/disadvans...how do they run etc..
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

advantage = easy to work with

disadvantage = you have a huge toilet controlling the flow of fuel in your motor

Old 09-01-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

carbed = looks badass!

injected = pita tuning, more reliable
Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have seen many carbed Lt1's in swap vehicles.
they usually make a few more hp but lose a little tq,fuel mileage of course takes a dive with a holley on board.hey to each his own.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If the new OPTI i get in the mail bunks out, i am done with it, i been looking at my car saying,"Carb and intake bitch, carb and intake..."
Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

thats the easy way out bro!take your time and try to be a lil more patient.
cars are like high school girls
if you hit it too good they follow you around
if you dont hit it good they tell their friends and you dont get any
for a while.
you gotta have that special touch
Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Carbing an LT1 is what ignorant people who refuse to LEARN do.

There are no advantages, injection is superior and actually quite easy to tune with the right tools which are suprizingly inexpensive.

Start adding up the cost of jets, timing light, advance springs etc. and compare that too $90 for Tunercat and $40+ for a cable and injection can be cheap to tune. The feedback the computer can offer makes tuning much easier too.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about doing a carb lt1 setup but that was only to make forced induction easier to tune. I wouldn't really swap one unless it would only going to be driven a quarter mile at a time. If you spend the extra money on a wideband and read up on how to tune a good carburetor then you can really make them run great.

But for driveability you'll never rival fuel injection.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Start adding up the cost of jets, timing light, advance springs etc. and compare that too $90 for Tunercat and $40+ for a cable and injection can be cheap to tune.
I got all that **** laying around, so unless you dona already have this ****, he has a good point. A serious plus for me would be not having to worry about water in the opti, i am scared to drive my **** in heavy rain.

Last edited by ZONES89RS; 09-02-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=ZONES89RS]
Start adding up the cost of jets, timing light, advance springs etc. and compare that too $90 for Tunercat and $40+ for a cable and injection can be cheap to tune. QUOTE]
I got all that **** laying around, so unless you dona already have this ****, he has a good point. A serious plus for me would be not having to worry about water in the opti, i am scared to drive my **** in heavy rain.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:32 AM
11 Second Club

If anyone is wanting to an inferior system (ie Carbed) because of the opti, then you should buy a mustang or somthing. Delteq and LTCC fix that problem of the opti. Granted both systems still use the opti, but no voltage is running through the opti. Its only there for timing.

The only reason to do a carbed LT1 is a swap into an older vehicle. It would be cheaper and easier. Example LT1 in an 80's modile S-10. the truck is already set up for a carb so its easier to keep it carbed.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS

That is just because you are STUPID, you dumbass kids on the internet blow things way out of proportion.
Every year os so I make trips too the east coast and on several of those trips I have ended up perfectly pacing nasty storms, 15+ hours straight of driving through HEAVY rain, I mean so bad you have to follow semis because they squeege the road ahead of you. Gone through 3" of water at speed with 255/50/17 rubber pumping up walls of water so dense you can't see out the side windows and no opti problems.

That little packet of grease that comes with plug wires, use it on the wires and on the weatherpack connector too the opti and it seals perfectly. I have put over 170K miles on LT1s and never had a water problem with an opti that was any worse than a slight miss for a couple minutes and that is even rare, so if you have water problems with the opti is it operator error not the opti.

EVERY distributor will act up if water gets into it, the opti is placed where it can be more suceptible too water but is also much better sealed than other distributors. When I offroaded trucks I drowned out the HEI a few times, it is up high but no so sealed.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

That is just because you are STUPID, you dumbass kids on the internet blow things way out of proportion.
Every year os so I make trips too the east coast and on several of those trips I have ended up perfectly pacing nasty storms, 15+ hours straight of driving through HEAVY rain, I mean so bad you have to follow semis because they squeege the road ahead of you. Gone through 3" of water at speed with 255/50/17 rubber pumping up walls of water so dense you can't see out the side windows and no opti problems.

That little packet of grease that comes with plug wires, use it on the wires and on the weatherpack connector too the opti and it seals perfectly. I have put over 170K miles on LT1s and never had a water problem with an opti that was any worse than a slight miss for a couple minutes and that is even rare, so if you have water problems with the opti is it operator error not the opti.

EVERY distributor will act up if water gets into it, the opti is placed where it can be more suceptible too water but is also much better sealed than other distributors. When I offroaded trucks I drowned out the HEI a few times, it is up high but no so sealed.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I lived in south florida which had some pretty big downpours and I never had any issues with my opti. The only problem I had in the rain was with my POS elite sparkplug wires. My car actually died and would not start or run in the rain with them on. Then I switched to MSD wires and the problem was solved. I honestly couldn't believe the wires were that bad.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

well i guess that concludes the carb debate
Old 09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

I just wanted to switch because my motor is modded a great deal and hooking back up all that bullshit looks like no fun...:-(
Old 09-02-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some of the younger people on the forum are not dumbasses, but I do agree that the statement about the opti was pretty stupid, for one I have driven mine in the heavy rain and have had no problems. I do have a nice set of msd wires on it though.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

You are a flaming *** bag ******, i am tired of you talking **** you dumb bitch, i am not a kid so **** off, i really wish you would stop running your head, i have had bad experience with the opti, in the rain i have had them **** up, you dont drive an F body so maybe you dont have the same experiences, so stop talking ****.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are a flaming *** bag ******, i am tired of you talking **** you dumb bitch, i am not a kid so **** off, i really wish you would stop running your head, i have had bad experience with the opti, in the rain i have had them **** up, you dont drive an F body so maybe you dont have the same experiences, so stop talking ****.
Some people come on here to exchange ideas. 96capricemgr was out of line with his remarks. It's a shame that you felt you had to put so much bad language in your post. Why not PM him? Sad.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

OK now!
Can we get back on track?
The original post just wanted to know," Are there any carbuerated lt1 setups out there? Any advans/disadvans...how do they run etc.. "
Old 09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

I've driven my car in south florida downpours 100's of times and I have NEVER had an issue with it....

Quick Reply: Carbeurated LT1