General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can you mix spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you mix spark plug wires?

I have the driver side done with MSD 8.5's and I am going to do the passenger side next but I have one bad MSD from a while back. Will it hurt to run with different wires? Any tips on how to get to the passenger wires? They look like a b!tch to get to. Can't wait to do plugs. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure though there will be those that will claim its the worst thing in the world but from my first hand experience it won't hurt anything. I'm on 1 stocker, a couple MSD's and the rest taylor wires all from having one here and there get messed up for whatever reason. I notice no difference in misfire counts on the cylinders with one wire vs another and the plugs on the different wires all come out looking fine. The distance is soo short on the LS1's I doubt it will matter. Eventually I'll change them so they are all the same but for now I'm just not worried about it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. Is it better to go underneath for the three near the rear on the passenger side? Any tips? I've changed the 4 on the driver side and the one in the front on the pass side.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

yea you are fine, id change the plugs at the same time. A lot of times when I go to change just plugs on cars they end up needing wires because they rip trying to take them off no matter how careful I am.