Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to hook up trans temp guage?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to hook up trans temp guage?

is there a spot in the trans i can just thread the fitting into for the guage or do i need to drill a hole?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some guy's use the line pressure test port. I myself prefer the return cooler line or a bung in the pan. If you are running a 4l60e it already has an internal temp sensor that is wired up through the case connector. There are guy's using this system as well. I do know that it is possible. Vince
Old 09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, what all do i have to do to rig it up through the return cooler line?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Aeroforce Interceptor guage to monitor my trans temp. If you guys tune your cars using HP Tuners/EFI Live, you know that the trans temps settings used are the ones that are read from the PCM. With this guage, you plug it into a 12 volt power source for the one wire, and the other plugs into the OBD II port. You can scan and clear DTCs, use the shift light, it has a built in g-tech, and it reads the trans temp, actual coolant temp, intake air temp, volts, knock retard, timing, o2 reading, MAF readings, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. It reads like 25-30 parameters and well worth the $200. A few of the sponsors carry it, including New Era Performance who I bought mine from.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:14 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
thanks, what all do i have to do to rig it up through the return cooler line?
If you are running an external cooler install a T into the line that will be going back to the trans. Some just go to a hardware store and buy a T. You will probably want to tap on of the ends so that an 1/8 pipe sender can be used. 99Hawk262 had a thread a while back on how he did it. The location of where to mount the sender will be debated and I will not get into that. I have been taught that the return line or the pan is where to install it. The reason for this in theory is that the return oil is what lubricates the parts and should balance the internal temp of the parts to the same temp. When the oil is done with the parts it drains to the oil pan. This is why I suggest these locations. Good luck with your install. Vince
Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks very much for your help

Search this Thread