Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lightest M6 flywheel???

Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lightest M6 flywheel???

i was wondering who has the lightest M6 flywheel on the market? i see several brands of aluminum flywheels out there, but very few actualy publish a weight.

TIA
Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

unless you are road racing your car they are really usless, especially for drag racing. They are a PITA to launch correctly.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had a fidanza on my car which is a 95 lt1 formula m6. it wasnt installed correctly but driving around on it,i noticed a BIG difference in the car. my motor was stock besides a cold air intake and lowtemp thermostat. the rest of the car had an eibach prokit and g2 sway bars. now it did spin tires alot easier but it was nice when you just lightly stepped into it from a stop.it made the car pull forward alot harder to the point that th stock brakes werent stopping the car as well(fresh pads and rotors).basically it was hard to stop the car as easily. i spoke to the people at fidanza,they said if it was "shimmed?" properly,installed properly it wouldnt have had the problems i ended up having. the way it drove,it was my favorite mod i had done to that point. their flywheel only weighs13.5lbs=). this was just my experience with a lightweight flywheel on my DD.i am not an expert. alot of people try to say its not good on a street car but i would beg to differ... it also revved alot quicker. i have 3.42s in back and my needle jumped up there quick.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a Fidanza alum flyhweel as well which I think is around 13lbs as mentioned. Engine revs super fast thru the powerband and feels much more responsive. Mine was a street car (20K miles in 1 year) and road race car that I drag raced a handful of times as well. It did well in all forms of racing.

3:90/4:10 gears will really suit the lighter flywheel.

For drag racing the best 60' time will be achieved with a heavier flywheel setup. They are also easier to drive.... however if you can't figure that it needs a little more gas from the get go.... then you should be driving an automatic anyway.

BTW- There are some 9 second drag racers on here with aluminum flywheels. They just make lots of power and their 60' time won't get affected much at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightest M6 flywheel???