Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Firebird V6 to V8 Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Firebird V6 to V8 Swap...

How hard is it? Can the engines basically just be swapped out, and the new V8 (more on that in a sec) bolted up and it fit fine? Basically, could a professional mechanic do it in a week?

And on which V8, I'd most likely use an LS1- but if I found an LS2 or LS6, would it fit properly or would some custom modifications have to be made? I'm asking this because I trust local mechanics to be able to swap an LS1 in a car that it's available in, but I don't trust anyone around here to do ANY kind of fab work or work on anything that doesn't bolt in fairly easily.

If this has been asked before (and I'm sure it has, but I couldn't find it), please post the thread for me to check out.

thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Anyone? I'm kinda basing a purchase on this lol. ttt.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not that hard but in the end you'll end up spending more time and money than you would just buying an ls1 car. If that doesn't matter to you then sure go ahead and do it.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All lsx engines will bolt right up. It's only fiscally feasible if you're doing it yourself and equipped with the technical (the hardest part is the wiring) and mechanical know how. No offense but if you're asking questions like "will an ls6 bolt right in or require fab work," then I assume you're not in the position to do it. You can find an ls1 for 6-7k just go buy one.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Teching In

My parents are paying my insurance while I'm in college, and won't let me buy an LS1 car because of insurance. They do, however, like the V6 car I found, and I do too.

And I wasn't sure if all LSx motors used the same brackets and in the same places- no, I am not able to do this myself, but my friends dad has built 3 or 4 cars from scratch in the past several years, so I'm sure he could handle it.

Has anyone seen any write-ups or whatever on the swap? If so, let me know where I could find it.

Last edited by aaron_c; 09-03-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaron_c
My parents are paying my insurance while I'm in college, and won't let me buy an LS1 car because of insurance. They do, however, like the V6 car I found, and I do too.
There is no difference in insurance. Are you under your parent's plan? I went from a 1995 3.4L V6 Firebird to a 2001 Firebird Formula V8 and my insurance went up $50/year...and I live in NJ, highest car insurance rates in the USA. At the time, I was 19 and I'm still to this day under my parents' plan (I'm 21 now).

Seriously, tell your parents to get on the phone and call around. There is almost NO difference in insurance from a V6 or a V8. That's a myth. They only care about the car itself, not the engine.

That being said, taking a V6 and swapping an LS1 into it is a huge pain. First off, you're going to have to buy the engine. Secondly, the transmissions do not bolt right up to it. GOD HELP YOU if you have an M5 with the T-5 transmission, because that thing won't last 10 seconda behind an LS1. You'll have to go out and buy a used T-56 and swap that in, too.

The 4L60E in the V6 cars is also weaker than the one found in LS1 cars. The torque converter is much weaker in the V6 model and you'll likely wear out the lockup clutch prematurely.

That being said, NEITHER transmission will bolt right up. You'll have to swap bellhousings or something, I don't know, but it's not going to work. You'll need a new PCM...ugh, it'll be a mess. DON'T DO IT!

Get an insurance quote. When your parents realize the difference in the V6 and the V8 model is less than $100 a year, they'll be in shock.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Man, maybe I'll look for another type of vehicle then...thanks for the heads up. I don't think I'd ever find an LS1 car with low miles and in immaculate condition like this one for the same price ($5k). I'll just hold off and see what else comes up.

For anyone who ever wants to do the LS1 swap, though, here are a couple of links:

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Resident

Man, maybe I'll look for another type of vehicle then...thanks for the heads up. I don't think I'd ever find an LS1 car with low miles and in immaculate condition like this one for the same price ($5k). I'll just hold off and see what else comes up.

For anyone who ever wants to do the LS1 swap, though, here are a couple of links:

Why not just get the V6? If it's a good deal and you like the car, just buy it. You're in college, you don't need the fastest thing in the world. If it's nicer looking than everyone else's car, runs good and is clean, who cares? For a lousy 5 grand, if it's low miles and in excellent shape, just pull the trigger. Then, when you save up some cash, get an LS1 f-body. They'll be dirt cheap by the time you get out of college. Besides, those cars are as reliable as the sun. The 3.8L Series II V6 is one of the best V6's ever made. They typically go over 200,000 miles, and 300,000 miles isn't all that hard to find.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
The 3.8L Series II V6 is one of the best V6's ever made. They typically go over 200,000 miles, and 300,000 miles isn't all that hard to find.
I got my first 96 bird at 92k, and I gave it hell up to 170k, sold it to a buddy, last I've heard she's still running.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Teching In

The car was sold when I got there this morning...I found it on autotrader, and it turns out that when they sell a car off the lot, they don't take it off autotrader for some reason. So that fell through, but they had two Camaro's that I'm going to go back and ask about when I get out of class (didn't have time to ask earlier).
Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

just pay your parents the extra insurance money instead of spending 6K or more on an new engine. I think you have not thaught this through very much. It would be a lot cheaper to switch to a carborated 350ci motor.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 180ls1
just pay your parents the extra insurance money instead of spending 6K or more on an new engine. I think you have not thaught this through very much. It would be a lot cheaper to switch to a carborated 350ci motor.
I hadn't thought it through at all, actually. I figured I'd go ahead and see how hard it was, before I spent weeks deciding to do a swap and THEN ask how hard it was. If I find another V6 'Bird or Camaro with low mileage that I can afford, I'll likely get it. I can't afford any LS1's I've found, and need a new vehicle soon because my truck is beginning to fall apart with 175k miles on it.

I'm going to get whatever I find first that I like- whether it be a Silverado/Sierra, Tacoma/Jeep 4x4, V6 F-body, another Dakota, basically anything in good shape with low miles.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted when I get something new.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i found a 1999 6 speed camaro in good shape with 85,000 miles on it for $5,650 so look around and bring cash when you find one.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another option: Mod the V6. I do believe that people have put down decent amounts of power with the 3.8's. Unlike my old 3.1L Camaro, there are plenty of modding options for the 3.8. In fact I think there is a way to bolt the factory 3.8 S/C into the F-bodys.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
I think there is a way to bolt the factory 3.8 S/C into the F-bodys.
Not without extensive modification.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Not without extensive modification.
What he said. ^^^
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default No Ls1

YOU may not be getting an LS1 but your still getting a decent car if it looks in good cond. buy the V6 and learn the feel and maintanence of the F BODY, then get a Firehawk in FEW YEARS. They arent going up in value. I drove a 96 f bird for two tears then have an 02 f hawk
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
YOU may not be getting an LS1 but your still getting a decent car if it looks in good cond. buy the V6 and learn the feel and maintanence of the F BODY, then get a Firehawk in FEW YEARS. They arent going up in value. I drove a 96 f bird for two tears then have an 02 f hawk
GET one with the 3.8. its a good motor,, JUST ENJOY the f body.. MY 96 FBIRD DROVE GREAT WITH NOT TO EXPENSIVES REPAIRS,, but im as they say ''mechanically inclined" besides, chicks wont know its not an LS 1, only we will
Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default what everyone said...

i have a 99 firebird.. at one time was going to do the gtp s/c... too much modding time and money.... actually bought an ls1 long block w/ 30,000 miles on it to do the swap into my car... and had many extra parts... researched... waaaaaay too many things they "forget" to mention all the lil things that add up... now my v6 and ls1 longblock are for sale haha

Quick Reply: '99 Firebird V6 to V8 Swap...