Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 crossmember question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 crossmember question

I am buying up parts for my LS1 T56 install in my 69 Camaro..

I have looked at the T56 Crossmembers from ATS, S&P and Autokraft(?ithink that is the name)

Anyway are they all about the same or is one worth more $$ than another. Do either install easier??

Any other Pros and Cons??

Thanks

ETA: also are all parts in the ATS T56 install kit needed? Or can I get away using the crossmember and parts from the donor 4th gen??
Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

We used the S&P, an dit works good, but isn't fun to install, and has NO adjustment after it is in. Next time, we will use the ATS style like Rodder did, it has more adjustment, and mounts from below the subframe instead of inside it. The S&P does fit well.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

You can't use a donor crossmember from a 4th Gen... you could cut up a 1st gen TH400 crossmember and modify it, fab something from scratch, or buy one like ATS or S&P.

The clutch slave and master you'll want to replace anyway while the trans is out. You can either modify a new stock one, buy the ATS-modified one (included in their kit), or modify you clutch pedal S&P-style.

I'm partial to the ATS stuff... it's well engineered--for both performance and functionality, well made, and ATS' support is great.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rodder
You can't use a donor crossmember from a 4th Gen... you could cut up a 1st gen TH400 crossmember and modify it, fab something from scratch, or buy one like ATS or S&P.

The clutch slave and master you'll want to replace anyway while the trans is out. You can either modify a new stock one, buy the ATS-modified one (included in their kit), or modify you clutch pedal S&P-style.

I'm partial to the ATS stuff... it's well engineered--for both performance and functionality, well made, and ATS' support is great.
I understand that I cant use the donor crossmember.. I was refering to the clutch slave I guess.. So what you are saying is if I get the ATS T56 install kit it is all I will need to install the tranny in my 69??
So that is the best way to go instead of pieceing it all together!!

Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

The ATS kit has most of what you need. You'll still need a transmission mount (standard Energy Suspension TH400 mount), and a shortened driveshaft. If the car wasn't already a manual, you'll also need new brake/clutch pedals.

You'll probably also want to replace the clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing while it's all out of the car. And if the trans is unknown condition, you may want to send it off to someone like SixSpeedsInc to get rebuilt and upgraded (3/4 shifter fork, carbon blocker rings, slider keys, etc).
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rodder
The ATS kit has most of what you need..
I'm not familiar with ATS - can you provide a link? Do they have crossmemebrs for Nova's? Thanks. -Bob
Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BBPanel
I'm not familiar with ATS - can you provide a link? Do they have crossmemebrs for Nova's? Thanks. -Bob
pm sent

Quick Reply: T56 crossmember question