Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Whos been to Al Habbaniyah

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Tenured Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whos been to Al Habbaniyah

Im supposed to be leavin in a week or so. Good by civilian life for a while.
Pfc. James
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

I`ve been there. What do you want to know? I wasn`t stationed over there, I was in Ramadi. But a company in our Battalion was in Habbaniyah and I`ve been through the area a couple of times. The scenery is nice. Lots of trees. Not much more good things I can say about it. It used to be sort of like a college campus way back in the day.

When I was there they didnt have a chow hall. Chow was brought over from a FOB across the river, named TQ. They didn`t have a PX either in 06, but they have many in TQ. TQ is only about 100 feet away from FOB Habbinayah so it`s not like you`ll never get the chance to go over there.

Stay safe.

Last edited by GIJosh; 09-05-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Oh and it`s pretty humid because of a giant lake known as lake Al-TQ. I dont know how it`s spelled, Taqquduim I think. But almost everyone thats been the Iraq, military wide, will know what you are talking about when you say TQ.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Tenured Member

I was hoping it wouldnt be humid but o well. If it gets too bad I'll just jump in to cool off. Im not to worried about a px since I wanna save as much money as possible so i can do a FI kit to my car when I get back in ugust I think next year. I heard we will get moiterd dailey so that should be fun.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm on TQ now. it's not that humid. our Squadron is from Yuma. so it's generally the same environment, only yuma is a lot more humid. Lake Habbaniyah doesn't make it humid. the lake is too small, and the water isn't warm enough to make it that way.

and camp habbaniyah doesn't get morterd daily. actually, there's not been very many idf attacks in a while. if i remember correctly from the briefs, they haven't had one in a few months.

there have been some farther up north. but not in our area. habbaniyah is just outside of TQ (Al Taqaddum).
Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

TQ Was bad news back in 04-05 the first time i was there.. the last time in 06 it wasn't bad if you're a "on-base" mos... the streets just outside there are just as volatile if not more than they were 3 years ago.....

(Experience: Lead Vehicle - Route Clearance-Explosive Ordinance Search/Destroy Team in that AO)
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still not as bad as it was back then.. i get the intel reports every morning.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Intel Reports..... =)

Like I said.. its not too bad if you're "on base" nowadays...

Anbar has cooled off a bit in the last few years (metaphorically not in temperature)

back in 04-05 habbaniyah & TQ were shelled on a daily basis.. usually rockets or mortars (sometimes multiple IDF attacks in one day)

I can't speak for today & right now....

But it wasn't a picnic out on Michigan just 7 months ago though.....

Espescially North of the River and into Habbaniyah... (Which is what this devil dog was asking about..)

On base, Habbaniyah is just about as viable and safe as TQ..(they are pretty much the same base, to be honest....)

and TQ is one of the better Marine bases in Anbar.. (AA isn't bad, but it feels too much like a vacation)

7 Months ago in Anbar.......

We were competing with accurate snipers, massive & well-hidden IED's, & coordinated guerrilla attacks on our OP's...

so that quote in your about "**** flavored lollipops" is probably a bit off-centered.... I spent plenty of time in the turret of a cougar and rg, and I stayed down for a reason...

Although the average Iraqi citizen lacks the training and capacity to accurately aim & fire a weapon, I don't think giving young Marines false opinions about the abilities of the enemy is a good habit to get into.....

They are intelligent and adaptive just like us... (Just because we catch a bunch of bumbling idiots with bent shovels and half-inert 122's doesn't mean there are not well trained [and much harder to fight/catch/kill] enemies on the other end of a high-powered rifle looking to kill you.

A Well-Maintained Tobuk or a Dragunov in the hands of a mercenary sniper with military experience (which is what the better insurgent snipers are)

.....Is just as deadly as a Marine with a DMR....

And those are the cold-hard facts that nobody wants to hear.

But I guess in the business of war, its cold-hard facts that keep Marines alive.... (not intel reports)

just my 2c though.. not to douche on your mos.

Last edited by SSCamaroUSMC; 09-25-2007 at 04:04 PM.