Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia OZ700 Z Grip- My review after 3,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Textralia OZ700 Z Grip- My review after 3,000 miles

Well, after having some initial issues with this clutch, everything now is golden and I couldnt be happier. I started with the Z-grip and 18lb roselock flywheel kit, with new bolts, slave, and pilot.

In the beginning I had a low engagement issue that I solved with a new 01+ master with the drill mod and remote bleeder(...gotta love that thing). Dont ever try to reuse an ls1 master, its our weakspot in the hydros and youll be doing it later if you cheap out the first time like me.

After that was solved, I had just finished what I thought was break in, about 800 nice miles, and the clutch started squeeling really loud during engagement. Well, after some research and talking with Byunspeed, we determined I just needed to heat it up as I was being too nice to it. Squeeling solved. Use the search function or speak to Textralia to see what they recommend. I chose the second gear slip, some do the highway thing though.

Since then, this has been a chatter free clutch that feels like stock, and has a real slow stock-like engagement unlike the on/off of other race clutches. This forces you to have the clutch full depressed to nail gears without grinding when speedshifting, but it seems like a good alternative to having a touchy clutch in traffic. I had it at the track the other night, and beat the crap out of it, no weird mushy feeling, no smells, no slips...actually it works better hot!! I drive this car 45 miles a day in traffic and at this point would never consider another clutch.

To sum up, awesome holding power, chatter-shudder free smooth engagement, and awesome and I mean awesome customer service from buyunspeed. He will actually call you back as opposed to leaving you on hold...unheard of these days. I heard that Textralia has good support too, but they never returned my call, so that was my only experience with them. I hope this helps those trying to make a decision, as this is my only intent on this post.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to hear. I have one on the way for my Chevelle swap.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much power are you putting through it?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
How much power are you putting through it?
Right now only 340 rwhp...but shes about to start spraying like a crop duster....
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tex also and it also does the squeeling noise. I have also done the 2nd gear slip but I still hear the squeeling. I have to admit its a little embarrasing when your driving around town at every stop light. I've had the clutch for over a year now and the squeel for over 10 months.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

so whats the difference between the z grip and x grip
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Launching!

The z grip is more for nitrous apps and more aggressive driving to the best of my knowledge.

If its squeeling heat it up more man. Dont be scared, trust me it works. Call Byun or tex and theyll tell you what to do. Mine squeeled horribly, and after two sec gear slips...long slips...its quiet as a stocker. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Restricted User

I haven't had any issues with mine at all. No chatter or squeeling. I am putting 500rwhp through it also.

Quick Reply: Textralia OZ700 Z Grip- My review after 3,000 miles