General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gross coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gross coolant!

My 2000 Camaro is having some issues with the coolant. Last winter my heat stopped working, and the mechanic said my coolant was so gunked up they had to chisel away at the opening with a screwdriver! The jerks at the dealership said I needed a new heat pump, radiator, etc. etc. $1200 worth of repairs! I took it to a more reputable mechanic who flushed the thing about 6 times and got the heat working again. A few months ago, the heat stopped working again but since it was summer I let it go. Well, I just had it back in the shop to get flushed several more times, and the mechanic said it would probably need to be flushed a few more times in a few months to clear all the crap out. He said the dexcool coolant tends to gunk up.

So is the multiple flushings the right thing to do? Can the gunking up be prevented?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Its not supposed to gunk up if you keep it maintained properly. Maybe dexcool was not used at some point and regular anti freeze was used instead. That could have caused some of the parts to corrode and be a reason for the problem. Was distilled water also used to mix with the Dexcool? Its never supposed to be mixed with regular water.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickls1
Its not supposed to gunk up if you keep it maintained properly. Maybe dexcool was not used at some point and regular anti freeze was used instead. That could have caused some of the parts to corrode and be a reason for the problem. Was distilled water also used to mix with the Dexcool? Its never supposed to be mixed with regular water.
forget is dexcool the orange or green i just use the regular green its fine with regular water
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Dexcool is the orange one. The engine is supposed to only have dexcool in it though. I don't know all the detrimental effects of using the regular green ethylene glycol but you are definitely not supposed to because it can corrode some of the parts in your motor. I think its because of the aluminum block.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Dexcool is extended life antifreeze. As long as you completely flush the system out you can switch to the green, which is what I have done. Dexcool will leave a ton of sediment in the overflow bottle. I replaced my overflow bottle and flushed out the entire cooling system. There are NO adverse effects in running the green.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nickls1
Dexcool is the orange one. The engine is supposed to only have dexcool in it though. I don't know all the detrimental effects of using the regular green ethylene glycol but you are definitely not supposed to because it can corrode some of the parts in your motor. I think its because of the aluminum block.
absolutely wrong information dexcool for some people is just pure crap there is nothing wrong with swapping to the green coolant which is also safe for aluminum and with less headaches

the only catch is you must flush the old dexcool out of there very well
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

People have been using AL motors or just AL heads for awhile before Dexcool was invented. I don't know how corrosive glycol is. I can tell you it wouldn't eat out your motor in 5 years or the like.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

green coolant is also a hair cheaper
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i kicked the orange to the curb ( too many what if with this stuff) ... and went all green in my rides ! i seen a mechanics article somewhere on here where it states some interesting things about the ow so great dex!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey also on the flush thing i found prestone makes a great flush kit ( u hook to the hose) just make sure you get all that regular water out, and replace it with distilled water atleast
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Banned

correct!!!! dexcool is the worst coolent!!! although some people disagree with what i said because they support the factory recomendations, but the dex cool stuff really starts to corrode the radiator and later as the coolent gets old it turns in to a dark brown **** color with chunks of brown **** that clog up the radiator. the first thing i did when i bought my camaro is flush the cooling system and fill it with the green stuff 10x better
Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is running off of mostly water right now, previous owner did that lol. Not too great I guess but the car runs really cool, just need to replace it before winter comes.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Mine is running off of mostly water right now, previous owner did that lol. Not too great I guess but the car runs really cool, just need to replace it before winter comes.

lol, yea me too. i got water in both mine now and need to flush them with distilled water one more time then half it with the mighty texaco green stuff before the winter gets here....
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I don't care if it is dex or not. Flush at least half of it out every 5 years and you are good to go... I have never had any problems.