Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring, after heads fixture!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Backfiring, after heads fixture!!

Hi there!

I have a problem with mi ride!! After installing a set of Magnum rockers, and not setting them properly, I bented 5 valves Yep!! I know, stupidity. Well, all I did was to swap the old valves for new ones, this due to the fact that I only bented the valves on the first switching of the engine, so, no major engine problems, just vavles nothing else.

Now, after that, I bought a set of valves. I called the guys from AFR, asked for a new valve set for my AFR 205 (not milled btw), got them, put them in place, installed heads and used the car, but....

When the engine is cold, there is no problem, and btw it feels weird, as if I had installed new cam and not tune up to the puter. Then, when the engine get to the proper temp, BACKFIRING is my friend !! Lots of backfiring, and btw really loud.

The friends from AFR told me not to do any machining job to the heads before installing the new valves, this due to the small problem, and not big deal. Some people told me that I only had wait a little bit of time till the new valves find its new place on the head, and after that the sealing is going to be perfect.

So!! WHAT do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

C'mon guys!!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you bent the guides and they aren't seating properly now... nor are they going to. By bending the valves they would have to hit something. In hitting a piston, they would bend and put lateral (side) stress on the guides causing them to be misshaped. Sounds like you're gonna need to pull the heads and have the guides redone, if possible.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Sounds like you bent the guides and they aren't seating properly now... nor are they going to. By bending the valves they would have to hit something. In hitting a piston, they would bend and put lateral (side) stress on the guides causing them to be misshaped. Sounds like you're gonna need to pull the heads and have the guides redone, if possible.
Mmmm!! That is the part I was running away!

I guess that you are right!! I will check this again, and if necesary, take the heads off and fix the problem.

The part I do not like is that I already took the heads off 4 times!! mm!! My block and the ARP bolts are not a good "every time" combination

Thanks dude.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph
Mmmm!! That is the part I was running away!

I guess that you are right!! I will check this again, and if necesary, take the heads off and fix the problem.

The part I do not like is that I already took the heads off 4 times!! mm!! My block and the ARP bolts are not a good "every time" combination

Thanks dude.
That's why it's studs all the way for me, not bolts.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
That's why it's studs all the way for me, not bolts.
I hear you man!!