Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter trouble - help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter trouble - help!

Ok folks, im very sorry I havent had a video of Envy running but ive run into a wiring problem. When I try to crank the car, it clicks once and thats it; guages reset etc.

Im thinknig the problem lies with the starter, so I need a diagram of the starter wiring. I know the red wire goes on 1 stud, and the purple goes on the other small stud.

I have 1 large black wire comming from the negative battery terminal, this is where im lost. Does anyone know where it goes exactly or have a diagram?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have the starter wired properly..

There are a couple grounds coming off the battery. one I believe goes to the block near where the starter is the other goes to a ground stud near the battery on top of the pass side wheel housing areal.

sounds a lot like the battery is completely dead though.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I've figured out the black wire now. apparently it does ground to the engine block. I think theres a slight indentation on the starter itself where it can fit without touching anything else.

Jason (WS6nightmare) seems to think the battery may not have enough cold cranking amps to turn over the motor. Dunno if it would explain the 1 click or not, but it is worth a shot.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the starter new? It could be the combo of a fresh tight motor and old starter.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

starter is the stock unit with 93k on it. the motor isnt exactly "fresh" it has 32k on it, but thats new to me