Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What RPM to take off at.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What RPM to take off at.

hey, i have a 1998 Z28. Its an auto 4 speed. The car has 172000 highway miles on it. What range of rpms should i leave at for racing.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

We will need a list of modifications on the car first before we can give you any real advice, along with what suspension setup and what tires, stall, etc
Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

minimize tire spin.

burning the tires off looks cool, but you aren't moving as fast as you could be if you got better traction. If you are on stock width street tires this can be a challenge.

only way to figure it out is to practice. try just stomping the gas and going. if you are getting too much spin doing that, try holding the brake down hard with your left foot and revving the car up with your right.(known as "brake stalling") Try different rpms until you get a good launch with minimal tire spin. on a stock or mostly stock tire/suspension setup, you wont be able to utilize the full power of your car to launch, because you will just spin. you are gonna have to launch easy then roll into the throttle. with a stock torque converter, you are only gonna be able to rev it to maybe 1800-2000 rpms before the tires start spinning, so you are gonna want to stay just below that.

but, basically our cars have enough power in stock form to roast the tires and provide you with a crappy launch no matter how much you practice. Your next step is a high stall torque converter, and a set of wide sticky drag radials when you decide to get serious. hope this helped some
Old 09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont brake stall my car, its an auto factory sus. crap stockish tires... i just give it like 1/4 - 1/2 throttle off the line and then roll into the throttle... i dont get much spin but i dont leave all to hard either. this is in the street tho my car has never been to a track...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

With all of my suspension work and my tires I am able to get a great launch on the stock stall by braking it and letting it to 1500 rpm and launching! Havent lost to anything but a 6spd ta that really moved off the line
Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

your stock convertered A4 is limited but cars that might beat you at the track by a little you will stomp from a 60 roll! if you want more take off then get a stall!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
your stock convertered A4 is limited but cars that might beat you at the track by a little you will stomp from a 60 roll! if you want more take off then get a stall!

i agree. thats the stage i'm at, going to have a stall put in, then getting some DR's.