Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

what would cause

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what would cause

a pushrod to bend or break?? would it mess up the cam?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Over revving will usually bend a stock one. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with the cam. If anything, pull the lifter out and see if its messed up. Now, a little bit of info on the engine could probably get you a better answer.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Over revving will usually bend a stock one. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with the cam. If anything, pull the lifter out and see if its messed up. Now, a little bit of info on the engine could probably get you a better answer.
dang bud your everywhere huh?? lol thanks for all the help though i really appreciate it.. what do ya need to know about the engine?? nothin to special it's just a 383 sbc.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fockabela2001
a pushrod to bend or break?? would it mess up the cam?
You need to link to the numerous posts about this problem you've been having.
The engine wouldn't stay running because the rockers were too tight. Might assume it's a new cam. I'd be more worried about a bent valve.
I'd run it and be sure the cam breaks in ok, I guess it's a new engine, break the whole thing in to get the rings seated too. Then take a compression test, paying close attention to the cylinder that bent the pushrod.
If the valve head is bent a little it might run ok, but it'll eventually break the head off because everytime it closes it flexes it back close to straight. That slight bending back and fourth will lead to valve failure, which will lead to piston, cylinder head, connecting rod, and possibly block and crank damage because valve heads don't compress. Valve head broke.