PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Tuning a Torquer 2 so difficult or unfriendly?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Tuning a Torquer 2 so difficult or unfriendly?

So here's my question. I used to have a torquer 2 on a 113lsa and Went to get it tued, and was ragged over it with tuner saying he hates tuning this cam. Then again, i had a buddy get the same cam on a 112 and two more tuners were like....oh no, blah, anything but the torquer. Please oh plese you knowledgeable tuners, please tell me why it's so difficult or unfriendly?

Thanks for your Opinions guys
Old 09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont know considering my cam is similiar to to it, I didnt have issues really and i tune myself. A tuner that cant tune a tourquer isnt the greatest tuner. But then again good tuners are damn near impossible to come by IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i won't name names, but i didn't say they couldn't...they don't like to. That's why i say
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

There really is no reason to not like tuning that cam, its not a huge cam and depending on the lsa its cut it wont have too much valve overlap to deal with.

What cam are you running now?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trex now, but my best friend just bought the torquer 2 on a 112 and he's gonna probably get tuned same time as me, we gotta throw it in next weekend
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

well its my cam he is writing about and i have an 02 six speed just bought the torquer 2 and am concern because when my friend went to get his tuned everyone kinda got a little upset cause they said that this particular cam is harder then the others to tune. and i understand that its not a huge cam and all that other good stuff, this is why i am asking if any one could explain why this is and if anyone with the exact cam has ever had a bad tune or trouble. im just trying to prevent trouble if there was any. i know alot of people have good things to say about this cam and believe me im excited and still am putting this cam in. Just want to no what to expect. thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the difficult to tune statement doesnt make sense and any tuner that says it is a difficult cam to tune would not be tuning my ride. The TQ 2 is 232/234 113 LSA and I have a 232/236 112LSA in my car and my car is not difficult to tune, although i have a good set of heads and high compression, but still the cam behavior is still similar. These are not big cams at all and tuning is not very hard to do. If they thing a TQ is hard, good luck with the Trex.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what's your lift? Is it similar too? also, the LS6 heads help the trex, and gosh i know it won't be easy to tune in any case. I just was curious as to why they griped about the torquer. They actually would prefer to tune a very large cam only compared to this particular cam. That's why i didn't understand. It woul dbe different if i only heard it from one tuner. Also,jsut a little curiosity. Untuned i know of two different torquer 2 cars that idled on thier own and drove decent untuned, but after tune, surged more and had dfficulty idling. Very interesting to me
Old 09-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That cams no big deal at all. Find another tuner.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mines like .585 on lift. I tend to think the difficulty comes from the fact that you know that you have a somewhat small cam so you expect it to be driveable whereas with the large cams like the Trex you expect it to not be so driveable, so the tuner doesnt have to worry much about drivability with the large cams. Thats my take on it.

Mine ran Ok untuned, I just turned the setscrew on the TB a little to help it idle better before I tuned it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1

which one?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
what's your lift? Is it similar too? also, the LS6 heads help the trex, and gosh i know it won't be easy to tune in any case. I just was curious as to why they griped about the torquer. They actually would prefer to tune a very large cam only compared to this particular cam. That's why i didn't understand. It woul dbe different if i only heard it from one tuner. Also,jsut a little curiosity. Untuned i know of two different torquer 2 cars that idled on thier own and drove decent untuned, but after tune, surged more and had dfficulty idling. Very interesting to me
If they surged after a tune, and not before, the tune sucks. Point blank.
Alot of tuners, even "pro" tuners patch alot of **** to try and make a big cam run right. I retune about a car a week from a shop near me. Guys got a great rep, but churns out **** constantly.
If they are setup properly, everything seems to fall into place. You end up needing alot less throttle cracker, follower, and some of the other "tweaks" that some guys use to make em run right.
Anybody can make em put up numbers. Its the driveability that makes or breaks a tuner.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ricernomore
which one?
Either one. Anything with that mild of duration on a 112 and up, is a piece of cake.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you might be missing the point. They didn't tell me it's hard to tune, like in they can't get it good or right, they don't like to tune it, like it takes a bunchof changes or soemthing. is this possible? Like i know a bunch of big tuners ahve saved tunes, and maybe there saved tune for this cam varies alot between cars. Is this possible?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

yea with the torquer i would like to crack 400rwp but in truthfully, i would so much give that power up as long as i cant still drive it everday. i can deal with a little surging, but the way they were making it sounds im doing the worst thing to a car one person could do.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the driveability that makes or breaks a tuner.
See, I totally agree with this statement, and honestly, that's why i am asking. Now i also didn't mean to sound like it only surged after, it jsut didn't reduce it at all i don't think. And honestly, with mine, the idling got worse. but i can't say for his idle, i never heard it after tune, but before tune, it idled lie mine untuned. Which was just fine. He complained of bad idling after, so i'm assuming like mine, which was start up, then idle down and die unless i fed it a little to pick the idle up. Once it found it, like three or four seconds, it would stay on its own. That's how my trex is now untuned, but the torquer 2 untuned was way better, it would stay idling if car was warm, adn if cold, only took a second, and did it on its own
Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98SS1LWEE
I think you might be missing the point. They didn't tell me it's hard to tune, like in they can't get it good or right, they don't like to tune it, like it takes a bunchof changes or soemthing. is this possible? Like i know a bunch of big tuners ahve saved tunes, and maybe there saved tune for this cam varies alot between cars. Is this possible?
Most of the changes that need to be done to a tune, are standard for the bigger cams. While the VE table may look different from one to another, the basic changes are still the same.
Those cams are no harder to tune, or make run right, or get the low end driveability good, or near perfect, or however you want to word it, than any other cam with the same overlap, and therefore the same manifold vacuum and reversion characteristics.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

okay well thats what i thought because there are a couple cams with the same specs as the torquer and i have never really overall heard of a hard cam to tune
Old 09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

I've tuned two of them now. They're not difficult to get drive-ability or AFR right. Knowing how to get rid of the bucking is where the problem lies for many tuners. Most tuners throw a lot of timing at a big cam like that (like the guy that tuned my car - running 232/238). In reality, the idle and low RPM fueling requirements are a lot less than stock. Such a small amount of fuel doesn't need nearly as much spark advance. FYI, I pulled nearly 12* of timing out of my spark map for low RPM/low airflow scenarios. Hardly bucks at all now.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, to be honest, i wish one specific tuner hadn't told me this, cause now after two cars to them and negative results after tune, i am very disappointed. I will keep them anonymous cause all i can say other than this is amjor good stuff, but this is just a small let down

Search this Thread