Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me brainstorm this clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me brainstorm this clutch problem

I've recently installed a LS1/M6 combo in my 94 Camaro. The problem is the clutch won't fully disengage so I can put it in gear, and changing gears is almost like driving with no clutch.

The T56 is a 34k unit I purchased from Ebay and seems to be working good. I'm running a LS7 clutch bought from a board member who claimed it was new. From the looks of it it was used briefly though. The Slave and Master were also purchased from board members and are supposed to be low miliage. I've modified the master to be adjustable.

What I've done to try to fix it:

You could fill the brake systems of 20 cars with the brake fluid I've put through this thing trying to bleed it. The pedal feels good and is grabing about 1/3 the way up. Yesterday I pulled the trans and took measurments. I found a 6mm difference between the height of the clutch fingers and the position of the throwout bearing when it's fully retracted. I made a 2.5mm spacer and installed it and also cleaned the input shaft with a wire brush and reapplied lithium grease just incase the disc had been sticking. This work made things marginally better as it shifts better, but it still won't go into gear.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with the pressure plate. I've also been thinking about getting a stock clutch to see if the problem goes away, but I really don't want to spend the money.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. The LS1 swap is finially done and I still can't drive the car.

Re'
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

That clutch should need no shimming. Did you check the master to ensure there are no small leaks?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I just finished a new clutch and trans install in mine and had the same problem. At first I couldn't even get the car to go in gear. After gravity bleeding the line the car would move but still wasn't right. I ended up gravity bleeding one more time and then using the 2 man system. I thought something was really wrong. It turned out that I just had a load of air in the line.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
That clutch should need no shimming. Did you check the master to ensure there are no small leaks?
No leaks. Even pulled the rubber cover off the master on the inside to check. The shim was a "what the hell" attempt to fix it.

I'm probably gonna try to bleed it again as I've got nothing else to try. But the pedal feels firm and I doubt there is air in it.

Re'
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

The pedal in mine felt fine, and still had air in the system. Keep bleeding!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem, I bought a prebled master/slave unit and it didn't help so I am about to throw in a new clutch.

Quick Reply: Help me brainstorm this clutch problem