Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain slack???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing chain slack???

how much play should there be on the timing chain?, last night in the process of taking out the cam, I noticed that the timing chain had an abundant amount of play, how much should there be?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: timing chain slack???

there is definetly a "medium" amount of play.

When i put my comp timing set on, i thought i had a bad piece because of all the play, but when i got it bolted up correctly most of the play went away, it feels pretty tight when i pull i the middle of the chain.

I do not think you can accuratly judge the amount of play unless the bolts are "snug"

Also our timing chains are notorious for having alot of play and if u are changing your cam i would upgrade timing chains, or get a new set.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

I was talking about the stock chain when I took it apart I noticed the play before I unbolted it!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

A fair amount of play is normal. Even a brand new chain will have a fair amount of play in it including the double roller's...

Dan
Old 05-30-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

my new SDPC double roller is tight - vertually no play at all!!!

I could move the old single chain back and forth about 3/4 of an inch at 35K miles...
Old 05-30-2003, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

A fair amount of play is normal. Even a brand new chain will have a fair amount of play in it including the double roller's...

Dan
not if you buy quality products....

My factory chain with 25K on it was a nightmare.....it had at least 4 to 6 degrees of slop in it (could just grab it with my hand and turn the cam back and forth).

The timing chain should not have ANY slack (not so tight that it can bind) when installed. My double roller does not have even a half a degree of slop. Slop and stretch are a big enemy in timing. Slop causes the cam to always be retarded from where you set it and stretch results in as RPM increases, timing will retard even more(as the chain stretches more).

Call up SDPC2000 and get their double roller chain. Its indestructable and positive.

Chris
Old 05-30-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

the sdpc double chain is also very inexpensiv @ $70 with a torington bearing...

..a real pain to install, however...
Old 05-30-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

the sdpc double chain is also very inexpensiv @ $70 with a torington bearing...

..a real pain to install, however...
Not according to GM. They say that for our cars it is normal to have about a 1/2 inch or little more play in the timing chain. I don't have the service manual on me right now or I would quote it exactly. But I did the same thing at first, took my timing cover off and was like "WOW!" this can't be right??? But since the LS1 is a strange motor I checked the manual and everything was fine.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Don’t take this wrong (nothing against you), but GM also says burning over a quart of oil per 1K miles is "normal".

It would cost GM a lot of $$$ if they started putting really good quality chains in or having to replace them every time they got any amount of slack. That does not mean it’s a good thing. If you go ask any engine builder if "slack" is "ok," they will say "NO...ANY is bad...it kills engines and hp...."

A 1/2" inch of play won't cause "problems" (no p-to-v problems) but even with the factory cam you are loosing power. Once you start putting high lift/high duration cams, timing becomes much more critical to prevent p-to-v problems.

I didn't find the Rollermaster hard to install at all. It just had a few extra parts (spacers) that had to be put on.

Chris
Old 06-03-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh OK - if you don't think pulling the pan is a pain, and pulling the oil pump and replacing a tricky o-ring, and pulling the old botom pulley ...then it was a snap...
Old 06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking about this one, if theres too much slack in the timing chain, it'll cause your engine to back fire under engine decel right? cause your putting the pull on the oposite end and the engine's not timed for that
Old 06-04-2003, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe that the reason there is slack is that aluminum is more likely to expand and contract than iron right? So it allows room for that right???
Old 06-04-2003, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Again, like mentioned above, a fair amount of slack according to the helms is normal. My rollmaster has slack and so did the Jwis chain, how you guys got yours tight, I have no idea. The rollmaster had the least amount of slack, but still had slack for me. Who has had problems so far with having the recomended amount of slack in their chain? The helms actually mentions a minimum to a maximum amount to have, I'm sure there is some reason for it.

Dan
Old 06-04-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

5/16" seems to come to mind. I don't have the manual infront of me but I think that was what it said. And yes it must have some slack in it when cold because aluminum expands a lot more the the tradition iron blocks. Why do you think everyone says not to rev your motor until it warms up...? If your chain is too tight you can and more than likely will destroy your front cam bearing.

Josh
Old 06-04-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh OK - if you don't think pulling the pan is a pain, and pulling the oil pump and replacing a tricky o-ring, and pulling the old botom pulley ...then it was a snap...
LOL ....come on...its fun....

if you just pull the motor mount bolts, you can lift the engine with a jack and the the oil pan will drop right off....

Quick Reply: timing chain slack???