Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 PCM Wiring guide???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 PCM Wiring guide???

Where can I find something that will tell me what each wire coming out of the pcm goes to? Over the winter I want to pull all of the factory wiring and install a custom harness. I want to make sure I know what is what while doing this. Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

dang that's a huge job. I recommend getting the manuals for the car. They can be tough to read sometimes but it tells you everything you need to know. Wire colors, where the connectors are at, fuses, pcm slots, etc. for a quick example I was diagnosing a fuel gauge problem and it gave me everything I needed including all wires to and from the tank, PCM, gauges, what colors they were, and the connector. I found the connector under the car by the tank without a problem and knew which wires were for the sender and what they were supposed to be reading. and I didn't feel like pulling up the seats and carpet but it told me where they ran under the carpet and where they ran to.

curious why you're making your own harness? you have a problem with yours or you just want to try to clean up the engine bay by running your own wires where you want to?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was definately going to buy a manual. I didn't know that it got that detailed though. The main reasons are to clean up the engine bay, fix some issues that were on the car when I bought it, do a custom gauge cluster, install a switch panel, and save as much weight as possible. The guy that had the car before me cut alot of wires out of the harness that were not needed. Well, in doing this, he just taped the ends that he cut. I have already fried a BCM because a few of the wires shorted out. I am pulling the motor this weekend because it is sold and I figure now is the best time to fix all of these problems. The interior will have to come out anyway, because of the new cage going in. That way I will have no more worries with the wiring and I will know exactly what is what. It is definately going to be a big job!!!! But I like that kind of stuff. And it is my track car so it has already been gutted.