Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)

For those that do not know, the Cadillac Catera was a rebaged Opel Omega built in Germany on the V-platform that was quite similar to the modified Australian Holden V-platform (Pontiac GTO, Holden Commodore etc.).

For the 2001 model year Opel was planning to build a V8 version in Germany that would have also made its way into North America as a Cadillac Catera; esentially a predecessor to the CTS-V.

But unfortunately in GM’s infinite wisdom, they cancelled the car at the very last minute for reasons that remain unknown. It was well past the concept stages and was so close to production that GM already have service manuals out for it and some brief data is still available on the car on GM Techline in Europe.

Anyways, a few of the pre-production prototype parts were saved and I got a hold of some of them and will begin converting my Catera to an LS1 and T56.

Here is a scan from the service manual showing most of these parts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fbg4isemzzp

^^^
Here is the plan LOL.

^^^
The subframe appears to be identical to the V6 excluding the altered mount plates.

^^^
Another subframe shot.

^^^
Engine mount and engine adapter plate closeup.

Last edited by Hans Grüber; 09-06-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Launching!

^^^
Engine mount has Mercedes logo and part number, (or from Mercedes supplier) and same as used on SLK, E-class and few ohter models.

^^^
This one is identical but has a GM logo.

^^^
Power steering fluid cooler. You can see this in the GM media pic posted above.

^^^
Manufacturers label on driveshaft.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

^^^
Squished LHS primary to clear steering box.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did it take you to find this stuff?????

It's pretty damn cool if you ask me.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this has been done before.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I thought about that one day. Should be nice.

Cool documentation and prototype parts.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Launching!

The guys at Cadillac had no sense until they began to do things like the CTS-V. I always wondered why they were so interested in the 70+ crowd who already bought their "last car" when they were 68. GM has so much potential in their parts bin; too bad they don't mix and match more. The Omega platform with a V8 should have happened the first year they tried to sell it in the US. Your swap looks like almost a bolt-in over a couple weekends (way easier than putting an LS1 into a BMW E30 chassis; we're almost done!!). I bet the hardest thing will be getting a Euro pedal assy

Go for it and keep the pics coming.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Launching!

I considerd doing that to a Catera but with V prices dropping well into the $20's it did not make sense along with the weight of the Catera.

Good luck!

Norm
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Norm, stop stalking me!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Launching!

That should be a fun project. The only thing that bugs me is how restrictive those manifolds look with all the flattened spots. Either way it should be a really neat M5 killer when you are done. I'd love to see progress pics as you move along.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:00 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VERY interesting project. Looking at the parts and manual, the similarities to the Holden platform are easy to see. However, there are still many differences. Obviously, the motors will be a much tighter fit in the Opel chassis as compared to the Holden, but it actually looks like it would fit quite nicely.

I have a GTO, so I am very familiar with its chassis. Many over the parts look like they came straight out of the Holden, like the oil pan. The driveshaft is very similar, but on the Holden piece there is a u-joint on the trans yoke in place of a rubber donut. Otherwise, it looks the same. The differential in the manual looks just like a Holden part, but the mounting to the chassis looks superior to a Holden. In fact, the cover used looks similar to one that GTO/Holden owners replace theirs with. Is that piece on all Opel V's? Hopefully, the diff on the Opel is at least as stout as the one on the Holden, or it could have issues with the V8 power. Although, on a GTO at least, the driveshaft tends to give up before drive axle parts.

The skidplate with the alternator colling duct is also interesting to me. Why would they think that the alternator needed so much air? The plate on the GTO is a completely solid 15 lb. piece of steel. It just makes me wonder how well protected the oil pan would be. Actually, upon a second look, it looks like it mounts in different area, somewhat ahead of were the plate is on a Holden.

Looks like a cool swap. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 AM

This is EXACTLY the information I need, seriously the amount of information regarding this kind of engine swap is almost non-existent. I plan to do the same swap to my 1997 Catera. Please post pics along with the progress of the swap if possible. If you could im sure a lotta people would benefit from a tutorial even if brief any help is appreciated in this swap. When I begin this swap hopefully this winter ill post pics and a tutorial because i think everybody should be able to be blessed with the knowledge of this. The more info plus parts from other vehicles that will work equals less modification costs. Including part numbers and total cost of the project would be a bonus too!
THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT DEAL OF INFO!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Launching!

^^^
Front: 334mm x 32mm
Rear: 308mm x 22mm

Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Steve VanS
Your swap looks like almost a bolt-in over a couple weekends (way easier than putting an LS1 into a BMW E30 chassis; we're almost done!!). I bet the hardest thing will be getting a Euro pedal assy

Go for it and keep the pics coming.
I wish it was a simple weekend job, but wiring will be a PITA. Particularly wiring the Bosch 5.3 ABS/TC unit to the PCM.

From pictures I've seen of the Pontiac GTO, it appears that the ABS unit is also a Bosche 5.3. I wish I had acces to a GTO service manual to confirm this.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Norm '88 GT
I considerd doing that to a Catera but with V prices dropping well into the $20's it did not make sense along with the weight of the Catera.

Good luck!

Norm
Agree with you that it this swap is not for everyone and would likely not be worth it economically when compared to a used CTS-V.

However I did already have the car and simply the sheer uniqueness of reproducing a cancelled model using real pre-production prototype parts is something in of itself. Also these cars have enormous depreciation and you can find a very low mileage model in excellent condition for as low a $5000-6000.

Also you can’t beat the sleeper aspect of this, particularly when most people think that these cars are FWD

(I'll also have a stronger diff. than the CTS-V )

(the weight is not too bad, 3770 compared to 3850 for the V, this will likely increase though when I'm done)

Last edited by Hans Grüber; 09-09-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris442
VERY interesting project. Looking at the parts and manual, the similarities to the Holden platform are easy to see. However, there are still many differences. Obviously, the motors will be a much tighter fit in the Opel chassis as compared to the Holden, but it actually looks like it would fit quite nicely.
The Australian V-platform is quite different despite the striking visual appearance between the two sedans (Catera, Holden Commodore).

Read more about it here, the Australian platform is wider, longer wheel base etc..

http://ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24348

Many over the parts look like they came straight out of the Holden, like the oil pan. The driveshaft is very similar, but on the Holden piece there is a u-joint on the trans yoke in place of a rubber donut. Otherwise, it looks the same.
The rubber donut end attaches to the diff of this Opel piece.

The GTO actually uses only one u-joint and two donuts:

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?012505

Is it true that the GTO driveshaft is only 2.0 inches is diameter?

I measured this part and it is 2 and 3/8 of an inch (6 cm).

The differential in the manual looks just like a Holden part, but the mounting to the chassis looks superior to a Holden. In fact, the cover used looks similar to one that GTO/Holden owners replace theirs with. Is that piece on all Opel V's?
All of the diffs, on the Opels (V6 and I4) mount in the same manner. Those diffs are not LSD and they're not sourced from Australia and are a completely different part.

The skidplate with the alternator colling duct is also interesting to me. Why would they think that the alternator needed so much air?
Good question, I wondered the same, maybe due to Autobahn driving?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dani K
This is EXACTLY the information I need, seriously the amount of information regarding this kind of engine swap is almost non-existent.
Only one other car like this exists. It was done by Lingenfelter and does not use the GM production parts. I have never heard of any other V8 Catera.

Originally Posted by Dani K
I plan to do the same swap to my 1997 Catera. Please post pics along with the progress of the swap if possible. If you could im sure a lotta people would benefit from a tutorial even if brief any help is appreciated in this swap. When I begin this swap hopefully this winter ill post pics and a tutorial because i think everybody should be able to be blessed with the knowledge of this. The more info plus parts from other vehicles that will work equals less modification costs. Including part numbers and total cost of the project would be a bonus too!
THANK YOU FOR THIS GREAT DEAL OF INFO!
It looks like you'll be doing this before me. It will likely be a year before I begin as I don't have a place to do this swap yet, nor an engine or the time at the moment.

But once I do start I'll be sure to document and post everything.

For the time being, I'm just planning to study the electrical aspect.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
Agree with you that it this swap is not for everyone and would likely not be worth it economically when compared to a used CTS-V.

However I did already have the car and simply the sheer uniqueness of reproducing a cancelled model using real pre-production prototype parts is something in of itself. Also these cars have enormous depreciation and you can find a very low mileage model in excellent condition for as low a $5000-6000.

Also you can’t beat the sleeper aspect of this, particularly when most people think that these cars are FWD

(I'll also have a stronger diff. than the CTS-V )

(the weight is not too bad, 3770 compared to 3850 for the V, this will likely increase though when I'm done)

Personally I would much rather the Catera than the CTS-V, thats why I planned to do this swap. I live in Penticton Canada and CTS-V's are everywhere. lol I love Cadillac but im getting sick of seeing em. also the styling is just plain. You would never see a Catera in Penticton, at least I never have and this is a resort town. Every year there is a big car show that all cars line up agains the beach from one end of town to the other. Its a nice car show and people come to it from everywhere in Canada but its like "Chevy SSR, Chevy SSR, Chevy SSR, Corvette, Chevy SSR.... ooh look there! this Chevy SSR has corvette fuel rail covers!" Everybody takes the same cars to the car show. there is nothing out of the ordinary. Now a Catera with an LS1 may not be out of the ordinary. But its my car of choice! I used to have a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood and i sold that to my best friend. then i decided to give BMW a try and it was aweful. so bad in fact i used it as an offroader lol. it was a beast and lived forever but it wasnt what i was looking for. after that car It was a tossup between the Catera or a Mercedes Roadster. I chose the catera and will never go to anything else. test drove a few cts's and they are close to the way this car drives and id prefer the catera. Cater with LS1 is definitely a sexy choice my friend. Its a lot better than a corvette with its leaf spring suspension. at least the Catera has 4 wheel independent. By the way everybody. By no means am I putting down the corvette in any way. I love the corvette! Ive had a 69 stingray and my buddy has a brand new 07 that i love. i just would prefer to see the engine in my car is all lol. wow i sure have gone one forever. about the same thing. Thank you for the extra photos Hans i greatly appreciate this you honestly have no idea. I have attatched photos of the Cadillac for my LS1 Install!
Attached Thumbnails LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)-dsc00456.jpg   LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)-dsc00460.jpg   LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)-dsc00453.jpg   LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)-dsc00461.jpg   LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)-dsc00472.jpg  

Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew that the platforms were different, but I never had seen underneath the Opel to see the similarities or differences. The rear suspension is the most similar part. The front subframe is totally different. Holden didn't even keep the A-arms, instead using radius rods. Interesting that the Opel has recirculating ball steering, while the Holdens have rack and pinion. Being familiar with the Holden, I can tell you that many of the small details look the same, little things like the hood latch. The power steering cooler you have also looks close to the one on my GTO.

I guess I was too tired when I was typing about that driveshaft, lol. I know it has two donuts. I don't know why I put it backwards in my post. Actually, I just took it out of my car a couple weeks ago and replaced it with a 1-piece 3.5" aluminum unit. There was nothing wrong with the stocker, but I got a great deal on the replacement. The only problem with the 2-piece is that it doesn't like high power and traction. I don't know about the diameter off hand, but it's small, so 2" wouldn't shock me. Now you've got me curious, so I'll have to go out in the shed and measure.

Was the diff that you have sourced from Australia? It looks very close to the GTO part, but it looks a bit narrower. Looking at the cover, it looks like it could be swapped for the Holden part at least in terms of bolting together. The fill and drain look identical, but the tag says LSD on mine. That 3.07 gear will be pretty tall if you use a T56, too. With the auto that they show in the manual, I'd imagine that gear was necessary to give the top speed the Germans wanted. All GTOs regardless of transmission have 3.46s. The manual with that gear and the speed limiter removed can reach approximately 180 mph in 5th gear. The 3.07 with a T56 would put the top end in the stratosphere, although you'd get excellent highway fuel economy. You've probably already thought this out, but the transmission from a GTO, RPO M12, would, IMHO, be best for your car as it has lower gearing than its f-body equivalent.

The only other thought I have for the alternator was that it would be closer to the frame than on the Holden due to the narrower chassis of the Opel. The accessories on my GTO are also different than the f-body parts that this Opel looks to use. I don't know if all Holdens with LS1s have used the accessories that my car has as GTOs in general are among the last Holdens on that platform.

Looks like you got the whole setup to do this, too. Between that and the manual, this ought to be about as close to a bolt in as it could possibly be.

Quick Reply: LS1 into a Cadillac Catera (56K=death)