General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whats wrong with my car?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with my car?!?!

Well any time I get on it and take the RPMs up it feels like I am letting off the throttle and stomping back on it over and over again. It used to only happen in 1st but now most of the time it won't happen until I shift into 2nd. Alot of the time it pulls the SES light and it shows 2 MAF codes. I used a whole can of CRC Mass Air cleaner on it hoping that would help, but it didn't. I know its likely that my MAF is going out and needs replaced, but the SES light goes away after turning the car off and back on. Wouldn't the light stay on all the time?

Again, imagine getting the RPMs up over 4k and taking your foot off the gas and quickly stomping back on it again and again (obviously by then I have let off to avoid looking like an idiot to surrounding drivers)
What do I do to check the voltage on the MAF, snap the throttle to WOT, sweep it slowly, or what?

Last edited by krobinson123; 09-07-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SES lights can be funny with the coming & going...sometimes a component will have totally failed, and the light is still intermittent. If you have cleaned the MAF very well already and you are still having problems, you might as well just replace it.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue with my 99 Z, turns out it was a bad spark plug wire (Headers burned it) and when I really got on it it would stumble (or rev up and down). The wire would cause the computer to adjust the engine and make the motor go crazy, however it would only happen above 3,000 rpm.