Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if crank has "walked " or thrust bearing is toast?.............

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you know if crank has "walked " or thrust bearing is toast?.............

My car threw a C0336 code and won't start now. It fires but won't start. I replaced the crank sensor and the wires are good. When I try and start the car there is no RPM reading in Autotap. I don't feel any movement on the crank what so ever and the drain plug had no metal debris on it. I replaced the clutch 550 miles ago and had an awful time getting the old pilot bearing out and landed up hammering it quite a bit to get it
out. After reading here quite a bit , I came to the conclusion that the thrust bearing may be toast but there is no evidence of bearing material on the plug. Anyone? Oh and by the way..... the old crank sensor showed eveidence of being faintly touched by the reluctor wheel.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crank walk... You sound like a DSM guy. When I had my 95 Eclipse GST I thought it had crank walk. From what I researched it said that you would hear a clicking sound, particularly on turns, loss of power, and oil leaks. I have never heard of a LS1 walking a crank, so I'd defer to the pilot bearing, or thrust bearing failure. Maybe the bashing unbalanced the rotating assembly?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with all the rods and what not bolted to the crank you wont feel any play in the crankshaft. are you sure your reluctor ring is good? on the crank
Old 09-08-2007, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
with all the rods and what not bolted to the crank you wont feel any play in the crankshaft. are you sure your reluctor ring is good? on the crank
Well it doesn't move if I stick a screwdriver through the hole. It seems rock solid.

Quick Reply: How do you know if crank has "walked " or thrust bearing is toast?.............