Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers. Are they reallly that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Headers. Are they reallly that bad?

I just got into the GM LS1 world. I have always been a Ford guy and have owned 4 Mustangs. I just purchased an '02 Trans Am WS6. I am looking to add full exhaust to the car. I found a set of SLP LTs and Y for a descent deal. I was looking to get them but did a little research on here. Kooks seem to be the preference here. Does SLP not make a good LT? I have always thought SLP was respected. They have to be better than MAC and Pacesetter. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to get sommething by next week.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've used them, i got a pretty good performance gain from them (26 rwhp), but the ground clearance SUCKED... i swiched to a set of headers that were Hooker style.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think most people's complaints about SLP long tubes is clearance. they hang pretty low under the car. there are a lot of good LT's out now for LS1's. just depends on what kinda money you want to spend and if you want noncoated, coated, or stainless.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Clearence does seem to be the issue after more studying. Thanks guys. I think I am going to look at Kooks. Looking for a good product that will last forever.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Check out American Racing LT's.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Kook challenged me to remove my SLP long tubes and put a set of his prototypes on and guaranteed me 30+ RWHP OVER the SLP's - I did and they did.
Amazing.
He even said he would give them up for free if they didn't. I think they made 31 on the dyno.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexnHMFIC
I just got into the GM LS1 world. I have always been a Ford guy and have owned 4 Mustangs. I just purchased an '02 Trans Am WS6. I am looking to add full exhaust to the car. I found a set of SLP LTs and Y for a descent deal. I was looking to get them but did a little research on here. Kooks seem to be the preference here. Does SLP not make a good LT? I have always thought SLP was respected. They have to be better than MAC and Pacesetter. Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to get sommething by next week.
try American racing headers, best header on the market, stainless steel with some of the best customer service and quality you can find

SLP=
Old 09-08-2007, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainSS1
Kook challenged me to remove my SLP long tubes and put a set of his prototypes on and guaranteed me 30+ RWHP OVER the SLP's - I did and they did.
Amazing.
He even said he would give them up for free if they didn't. I think they made 31 on the dyno.
31 over the SLP's? so your saying you got 50+ HP out of LT's? Bullshit
Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing.

Whoa...This is highly incorrect.
SLP's are equal length long tube headers. Your trying to say they don't make power? Unbelieveable what people say. They make a handful of power just like the majority of longtubes on the market. Basically what you are saying is that your Kooks headers made 65-70rwhp alone???? Not that I don't like the kooks headers because they are extremely nice and function equally. However, I can 100% guarantee that is not the case powerwise. Even from Mustang Dyno to DynoJet. Maybe if you had a 600+ CID BBC motor, but you don't. Even then far fetched. Just because you are hinting at SLP sucking doesnt mean they do. They have one of the largest research facilities out of all the aftermarket companies for our cars.

I challenge you to have the car dyno'd next time you decide to do an imaginary pull in your head for what you think you are actually obtaining powerwise.

All I am saying is don't post ignorance on here and expect everyone to believe it. What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even remotely be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kook challenged me to remove my SLP long tubes and put a set of his prototypes on and guaranteed me 30+ RWHP OVER the SLP's - I did and they did. Amazing.He even said he would give them up for free if they didn't. I think they made 31 on the dyno.

Yeah and my hi-performance blinker fluid is on back order, and my flux-compasator is in the shop; or I would have 600+ RWHP!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

haha +31 whp between headers

CaptainSS1
Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even remotely be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Who would steal 30 bagged lunches?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys don't jump the gun... i'm sure he meant 31 HP gain over the stock manifolds... and it's just a typo... in that case it's absolutely believable...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot how some people communicate on this board. I was a Member of LS1.com for many years with many thousands of posts (if that matters)

Despite the intermediate rudeness, I will direct my comments to the thread originator.
Mikey from RapidMotorsports did the install and comparitive testing from the SLP's to the Kooks and may remember all of the various specifics.
Not that the specifics will have any bearing on some who just like to cease what was intended to be helpful and turn it into a sophomoric exercise in ignorance.
The final net gain was 31 rwhp. The increase over the SLP's was considerable enough to surprise both myself (who has built many cars, most of which before many of the members were out of diapers) and an experienced engine builder in Mikey Klemen.
Again, this is going back 5+ years but if the SLP's had made 12-15 hp the Kooks made 31. In fairness to the SLP's... they were installed first and the Kooks after much more was done to the motor.
The clearance was much better on the Kooks and the design aspects for creating exhaust gas accelleration and scavenging was obvious.
The Kooks stayed and the SLP's were given away.
My intent is to answer the question of someone trying to make a decision for a car we all supposedly share a respect for - Not spar or trade personal attacks.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stop looking at me swan!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even remotely be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
HAHAHA
Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot how some people communicate on this board. I was a Member of LS1.com for many years with many thousands of posts (if that matters)

Despite the intermediate rudeness, I will direct my comments to the thread originator.
Mikey from RapidMotorsports did the install and comparitive testing from the SLP's to the Kooks and may remember all of the various specifics.
Not that the specifics will have any bearing on some who just like to cease what was intended to be helpful and turn it into a sophomoric exercise in ignorance.
The final net gain was 31 rwhp. The increase over the SLP's was considerable enough to surprise both myself (who has built many cars, most of which before many of the members were out of diapers) and an experienced engine builder in Mikey Klemen.
Again, this is going back 5+ years but if the SLP's had made 12-15 hp the Kooks made 31. In fairness to the SLP's... they were installed first and the Kooks after much more was done to the motor.
The clearance was much better on the Kooks and the design aspects for creating exhaust gas accelleration and scavenging was obvious.
The Kooks stayed and the SLP's were given away.
My intent is to answer the question of someone trying to make a decision for a car we all supposedly share a respect for - Not spar or trade personal attacks.
Now, you sound like a completely different person than the one that posted your first comment. You left out a few key things to show your results. This post makes the first one obsolete IMO now. Glad to see you knew what you were talking about afterall. I am here to protect people from childish things that people/kids say on here, and you just fell suspect with 6 posts and new registration. I wasn't meaning to attack you. Thank you for coming back and defending your case.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well if clearance is something your looking for stay away from SLPs they hang to damn low. The reason i got mine was because i bought them with a 3" x pipe and magnaflow mufflers for an incredible price. Yes now i can't lower my car but oh well i can't do anything about it, other than buy a new set of headers. And im not that much into lowering my car to go fork up more cash on headers. But yes SLP headers are bad clearance wise.
-Joel
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Stop looking at me swan!!!!
I haven't said that in years...i almost pissed myself.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hope i can help,

i just installed a set of headers to 2 camaros on the during weeks,

slp lt's and y pipe in one and pacesetter in the other one,

the slp ones just have the baddest ground clearend that i've seen, the car can never be lowered with those lt's,

the pacesetter are much better, clearence wise,

but the slp lt's sounds vell an gained well