Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

light weight flywheel install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default light weight flywheel install

does this upgrade make a big difference? is it hard to install?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about an aluminum flywheel, yes they are great for road racing. Sprint cars have no flywheel, so they are super light. For drag racing, you need the weight in the flywheel when you launch to get the car moving, after the engine starts picking up rpm, the flywheel is just extra weight. For street, it will make the car feel more responsive, and rev quick, but a little harder to take off from a stop sign.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the other hand....I run a twin disc setup with an aluminum flywheel. It is beneficial in this case because of the added weight of the extra pressure plate/floater and disc nearly cross cancel the light flywheel. Still great for drag racing. I don't really get a different reaction like he was just describing because the weight is still present. But he is right. The install is no different. Just easier to strip out the bolt holes though I am sure with AL material.

Moving to Manual Transmission section.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to drop the trans and clutch justto install an aluminum flywheel then it isnt worth it. Now if you are replacing the clutch anyway then sure an aluminum flywheel can be worth it while youre in there. getting to the flywheel is not a simple task.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
If you are going to drop the trans and clutch justto install an aluminum flywheel then it isnt worth it. Now if you are replacing the clutch anyway then sure an aluminum flywheel can be worth it while youre in there. getting to the flywheel is not a simple task.
Unless you have a lift. I'm considering picking up a Fidanza flywheel as well as the remote clutch bleeder. I've got to pull the trans to get to the slave to install the remote bleeder, so I might as well swap to a new lighter flywheel at the same time.

Who makes light clutches and pressure plates? Just curious.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a Spec clutch lightened from them for 79 dollars.

Quick Reply: light weight flywheel install