Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blackbird decal install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blackbird decal install questions

I have some "supplemental" questions to go along with the info i have found in my searches about blackbird decals

I tend to overthink things sometimes, I apologize in advance...

1 Both stripes came on the same roll, i have cut them apart down the middle to seperate the two stripes, leaving different sizes of paper on these long sizes,,do i need to trim as close to the BB stripes as i can for proper alignment like i did with the front and rear of the stripes. I left about 1/8th of an inch of paper

2 I peel off the entire backing paper, exposing the sticky side of the decal, i spray both this side, and the very clean (no wax, etc) section of hood they are going on,,,,and apply,,,but do i pull off the transfer tape now, and squeegee?? or am i missing something,,,won't the decal come back off with the transfer tape?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanx!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

decals are a bitch!! when my side flags... i cleaned off the area where they were going to go on i clayed it to remove the wax and sh*t then i got the area wet with water and soap then i peeled the back paper off then placed the whole decal on where its going... then i smooth it out with my hand after that you remove the paper thats still on the decal... then you smooth it out with either a squeegee or credit card which i thought worked best!! after that you get a great finish!!... as for the alignment the water and soap will make the decal move once you slap it on DO NOT use the squeegee or credit card until you see that the decal is looking good where it is!! Best of LUCK!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

So when i remove that transfer tape, the still movable decal will not come off with it?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned Village Idiot

no because the decal sticks pretty good to the car and you remove that paper very slowly
Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned Village Idiot

before i installed my side flags i tried it out with this SS hood decal which was good practices
Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

So no need to trim up the paper edges before i go and do this?, cause the backing paper will be off, i slowly pull the transfer paper off, and i then move the decal to where i need er to go.

SSM?'s and thanx
Old 09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I trimmed the paper so i could get it more accurate and straight as possible...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

looks like i just wasted 30 bucks. The transfer paper will not pull off the decal without lifting it from the hood, it won't stick. Thanx for the help anyway everyone.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Did you stick them down already? What I did was cut as close to the strip as possible and set them where they look good. Then I took some masking tape and put a piece down where the stripe would start and where it would finish. and one long piece for the top and bottom. Kind of making a box for the area where the decal would go. Then start at the front and go slowly,pulling the transfer paper off as I go. Hopes this helps or does next time.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

if the decals are anything like I just bought for my car...you are supposed to leave that backing paper on for at least 3 hours before you try to remove it...mine specifically had it noted in the directions...and I'd be willing to bet that is how yours are supposed to work...hope that helps
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't squeeze water between the sticky part of decal and the surface where you're applying the decal, you'll never make the decal stay in place. Apply the wet decal part to clean surface, align the decal, once its aligned, press on it with squeege to get the water out, in another words squeeze the water out in order to allow the glue from the decal to stick to the surface. I am not sure if I am making sense to you, but its not that hard to apply decals, works very much as applying window tint, same principles.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Exactly, putting decals on isn't hard at all....it's time consuming. Take your time, and you'll have good results. As others have said, once it's where you want it, squeegee all the water out...all of it. Once you think you got all the water out, do it again, you'll be amazed how much water will come out. If you got all the water out, the decals will stick to the paint just fine.

When you peel carrier paper off, pull it 180 degrees from the area you are pulling it from. Don't pull the carrier paper straight up, you may lift the decal edges. Do it slowly, and carefully. If it start lifting the decal, you have more squeegee work ahead of you, lay the carrier back down and keep squeegeeing.

Good luck!
-Rich
Old 09-10-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx all. I did wait a bit b4 trying to peel the transfer paper off at the 180,,,no luck. Someone mentioned the the backing paper,,,no issues there,,it was the transrer paper that gave me grief,,no matter how hard i squeegied or let the sit,,,they would not stick. passanger side is in the trash after trying to remove the Transfer paper,,,the decals would just come up , and the damn lil stripes then grabbed the big stripe in the middle,,,it was over at that point., i have the Dr's side put away with some other estranged decals i'll probably never put anywhere. oh well.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Between this and some painting projects that should have been easy and came out shitty,,,my weekend sucked so bad, im ready to put the damn thing away for the winter.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey! Don't give up that easily!!! You just got to take your time when attemping to do anything!

Quick Reply: Blackbird decal install questions