Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a decent replacement 10 bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a decent replacement 10 bolt.

Hey guys. Long story short, 250 miles after a General Motors rear end service on my 17,000 mile 02 SS 35th Anniv LE/M6, the car broke the pinion shaft, destroying the driveshaft, differential, housing, ring gears, and a lot of other crap. GM had a regional engineer look at it, and he conveniently decided that it was not their fault, that we ran it out of fluid (If someone could explain how this happens at 17,000 miles with not a drop of fluid in my garage I'd love it). The warranty company then decided that they still think it was GMs fault, so they won't pay for it either. I took the car to what I thought was a reputable differential shop, and $4800 later, I have my car back. Kind of. It's needed to go back every week for the past month because it still isn't half the car it was when I bought it at 12,000 miles. It's had 4 different diffs in it since.

The stock differential was the SLP Auburn yellow spring.

First he put in a SLP differential. This one howled like crazy, so I brought it back and he ordered an Eaton differential for it. Eaton sent the wrong one, and the right one is on back order. So then he put in an "Auburn Gold Series." As of right now, I don't know who to trust. Is this differential as good or better than my stock Auburn?

The car is a stock 345hp car, and it won't ever be modified, and probably won't ever see the track. Will this differential handle the factory power though the 275 BF Goodrich tires? If not, what's the best 10 bolt I can run?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the same position. I also have a 35th anniv car and I recently discovered that my diff had gone bad. Aparently the previous owned thought he was talented with a grinder and modified the auburn unit for who knows what reason. Im assuming that he had problem getting the unit to fit properly. Anyways im having to rebuild my existing rearend just like you. My suggestion to you since you arent modifying you car and you trying to keep it stock is to keep as much of the existing rearend as possible to keep the cars value up. So i would just rely on the diff you currently have installed, if it isnt giving you any problems. I cant tell you if tha differential will hold but im assuming it will given that it fits the imfamous 7.625 rear. If you have any questions let me know. Im no expert but i will try and help you out as much as i can.