General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alternator Problem, question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Problem, question

I am having a problem with blowing alternators. I bought the car about two month ago. I had professional installers put a small after market system in the car that was previously in a Hyundai for three years with no problems. (the system may or may not be a factor, but the dealership thinks it is a factor).
Shortly after this, the battery died. Took it to the dealer, who swapped it for a cheap new battery. A few days later, battery died. I thought the system might be a bigger drain, so I bought an Optima red top gel cell. I was in the dealership a week later for a different issue, but they noticed the alternator not charging and replaced it with a new OEM (Delphi). One week later, it fried and stranded me with a discharged battery. Back to the shop where they replaced the alternator with a higher charging one, noting the "stereo" might need more juice than the stocker could make. I thought a drain from the amps would kill the battery, not the alternator. The stereo shop confirmed this theory, saying they had never heard of anything like this and the system is a small one in any event.
Washed the car this afternoon and headed over to the GF's house. "Check Gauges" cuts on. I look down to see the Volts are in the red, ie - another alternator down.
Has anyone experienced this, or something similar? What could account for a charging system problem that is eating up alternators? What am I looking at to have the dealership track down and fix this problem? I am getting annoyed at replacing the same part every week.
HELP!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order to prove that the stereo system is not the culprit, disconnect it. An incorrectly wired system, no matter how small, could cause the problems you are describing.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

It is only a small drain. Since it is connected by a dedicated fuse to the battery, the drain is on the battery. It should pull down the battery, right? How would this blow the alternator? Would a voltage probe on the power supply wire indicate an excessive current draw? How do I get this fixed?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Launching!

A drain like that will absolutely fry the alternator if there is an excessive current draw somewhere. It will demand 100% from the alternator until it gets burned out.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Fried alt # 3.
Pulling out...WOT..."Check Gauges"
Back to the dealer.
It seems like the alt will last only about 7 days. Also seems like the last two have popped at WOT. Theories? Something with the belts assembly?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

mine has been doing the same thing...i have had a system in my car for about 2 years and mine just started doing it recently...well anyway i think i may have found my culprit, my positive battery cable ring is badly corroded so im gonna replace the cable and see if that works..here is the thread i started in the audio and electronics section of this forum https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/779996-need-help-alt-keeps-going-out.html maybe it will help to give you some ideas of what is going on