General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gauges issue (tach, speedometer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gauges issue (tach, speedometer)

I've had a 98 camaro since dec 02 it had 65K miles when I took over ownership, now it has 139K. Its been good, considering some funky mods i've mistakenly done, and ended up reverting back to stock. Without futher ado-it warms up fine, operating temperature the tach and speedometer gauges tend to run a bit higher, then further running higher. Its only done this on two days of driving >30 minutes. Its not mechanically running that way or i would feel it. Is there a speedo cable? Oh and my volt gauge doesn't read higher than 13 usually 10-11, when its been running long. I do have to idle alot around town and the car's cammed, ud pulley, truduals. How can I fix this??
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zdawg28
Its been good, considering some funky mods i've mistakenly done, and ended up reverting back to stock. Without futher ado... I do have to idle alot around town and the car's cammed, ud pulley, truduals. How can I fix this??
????????????

check fuses???
check battery???
stock size tires???
funky mods????????????????????????
HAVE SCANNED FOR CODES
Old 09-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Launching!

some UD pulley kits will not provide enough charge to the alt during idle and im sure being cammed dosent help that situ either.
Stock pulley kit???
Old 09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

underdrive pulley here. Its a X1 cam, and tuning was done at MTI when the cam was installed. I didn't notice that after the install it idled any higher. So I should get them to raise the idle speed i think. If I idle about 1200 the volts seem to come up alittle. FYI no funky mods, no codes, battery is alittle low on Amps getting a new one tomorrow. Thanks Sick
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 PM

I just had similar issues on my 95 V6. My speedo was running 70mph when I was going about 50, and my other gauges were bouncing around. My check engine light also came on after 10 minutes of the car running. Come to find out my battery cables were loose. Tightened them up and it went away instantly. Start with the basics.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Make sure that all of your grounds are secured, and that you aren't creating any unnecessary grounds to the electrical system.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

thers no speedo cable maybe, VSS plug on tranni maybe. depending on m6 or auto. If M6, its next to rev Lock out near shifter.