Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger+Roadracing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger+Roadracing?

I have a 2003 Zo6, I use this car mainly for pleasure canyon driving and roadracing. I am blessed to live within driving distance to 4 Road tracks in Northern/central california.
I just want to have more power. I would like to do a procharger and longtubes. call it good. But can you reliable run a blower and pound on it for 20 minutes+ at a time?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, especially if you pay some extra attention to heat management. My Vortech 383 is setup for road racing, but it's lubed via the engine oil as opposed to most of the common Prochargers which have a ~6oz. self-contained lube setup. As Vortech recommends for RR setup, I also use one of my extra blower drainholes as a vent to a my catchcan. I'm sure you'll hear from the Procharger crowd, but I'd feel better with some sort of blower oil cooler setup. A2A intercoolers in the proper size to avoid heat soak, then all the regular RR setup tricks.

I haven't done an actual RR with it yet, but in canyon driving I haven't had any issues with IAT creep or oil/coolant temp increases beyond a normal range.

Should be a sweet project! Those Z06's are a hell of a machine.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus you are not running boost all the time throughout the whole circuit.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I road race the hell out of my turbo car. Like said above, keep it cool, maybe an oil cooler (I used a big trans cooler and fan), and a large radiator (I'm running a becool aluminum unit). Be conscious of heat and the potential detonation it brings and you'll love it.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check out what we did on this C5 for roadcourse use.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there are people running prochargers and using them on road causes to great effect! you just have to look into heat problems!

first is the intercooling. its comon knowlage that a front mount will have a negative effect on the engine cooling. you can get pretty good results with the 4.5inch twins you get with the ProCharger. tkae a lok at the link posted above (that guys C5 is really good!!). you can do a front mount but you might have to take a diffrent route to the normal. this will envolve sectioning off the incoming air, some for the front mount, and the rest for the rad. this stops the rad getting hit by the HOT air from the intercooler. this takes alot of work so its probalby easier to go with the twin intercoolers.

next is the general cooling system. needs to be top notch, no messing around here. bigger rad and fans will always help out. make sure the rad you by is for water only! also make sure the water pumps is nice and fresh. most run water wetter as it can help reduce temps a little. next mod is proven to work, and external oil cooler!! dont know why more guys dont run these as they are very comon for tack cars over here (uk). agian take a look at the above link.

also you might want to try a tiger shark front end. this will help you get a little more air into the rad, but make sure you shroud in the rad as much as pos. this will MAKE the air go through the rad rather than just finding ways around it. also you might want to look into a heat extractor hood as these can help get the hot air outand also with hi speed stability.

also take a look on the C5, Forced induction/Nitrous section on the corvette forum. there are a couple of threads on there that will go though in more detail what i, and others have just said.

hope this helps some

Chris.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

You guys rock.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

exsotic perofrmace plus, or anyone else with some knowlage, what are you impressions of the APS intercooler setup of the C6's?? would this twin cooler setup still allow some cold air to get to the rad??

thanks Chris.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by chuntington101
exsotic perofrmace plus, or anyone else with some knowlage, what are you impressions of the APS intercooler setup of the C6's?? would this twin cooler setup still allow some cold air to get to the rad??

thanks Chris.

Yes it would indeed allow air to get to the radiator. The pictures above are from a 2007 C6 that we did an APS install on.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=49 Bob
Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks EPP!

is there any reason APS didn't fit these type of intercoolers to the C5s or why few people use similar layouts??

i have seen some pics of nelson racing engines installed and they often go for twin intercoolers aranged like these.

thanks Chris.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

A very good friend of mine road races a '01 Z06 with a P1SC @10.5lbs of boost (w/ meth). He has all the bolt ons and makes a little less than 630rwhp. The only problem he notices is that depending on the time of the session his engine temps get pretty hot. I am sure that could be cured with a better radiator though.

Quick Reply: Procharger+Roadracing?