LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help - turns over but won't fire up

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help - turns over but won't fire up

it will fire occasionally and when it does there isn't a miss or anything, it runs fine and no SES lights.

last night at the track i used a bag of ice on top of the intake to try to cool it down some. of course some of it melted but as far back as i had it on the intake i didn't think any could get to the opti. after letting it sit for about 45 minutes it doesn't want to start up. it spins over and sounds like its getting fuel, so it seems to me it isn't getting spark. i did manage to get it started a few times, three times last night (once to see if it would start, once to get home, and once to move it) and twice today (once after a few tries and again on the first try once), but for the most part is simply spins over but won't start. i'm leaning towards the opti having gotten wet, although i didn't see any water there last night, i've checked all of the connections i could find and they are dry

anyone else got any ideas before i order a new opti, plugs, wires, and coil?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

i would check for spark and for strength of the spark as well as fuel pressure.

I have an opti vented I can sell you for cheap. let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

No codes? Check the coil with the wire off to see if it sparks all the time?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

update: i just managed to get it started and drove it around town a little. it ran fine, pulled like normal through the entire rpm band, but it is showing an SES light now. i don't have a scan tool and its too late to go use one at the parts store to get one. so hopefully i'll be able to get something hooked up to it soon.

what exactly do i need to do to check for spark at the coil? i suck with electronics in general, so i'm lost on this matter. i think i can manage to check the actual spark plug though, just pull it and try to start the car right? and see if it sparks?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Pretty much. Just pull the wire off and watch it while a buddy cranks it. What year is your car? It has to be OBDII or the code readers that the parts stores have won't be able to read it.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car is a 95. it's OBDII. hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to get it out to a friend's shop and have a good luck at it where i have tools available and i can afford to have down time on it
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by itSSlowZ28
my car is a 95. it's OBDII. hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to get it out to a friend's shop and have a good luck at it where i have tools available and i can afford to have down time on it
95s are not OBDII, they are I, but have the II connector.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
95s are not OBDII, they are I, but have the II connector.
what do you mean they're not? i thought somewhere in 95 they switched from I to II?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

What I mean is, they are OBDI, just like 94. The only difference from 94 is that the interface connector is the OBDII style. 95 was the only year like that. 96 was the first year for OBDII.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, 95 has a OBDII style connector, but is actually an OBDI computer. Good luck proving to the guys at dumbass auto your car is actually OBDI. I don't think their scan tool will do it anyway. I know high end scan tools can change to different DLC connectors. I'm not sure where most `95 people go, but surly the dealership will have something.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

The dealership will probably charge a diagnostic fee.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

update: i've ripped it down to the balancer. just need to get a puller to get it off, so that will be done tomorrow so i can have a look at the opti. i'm probably gonna at least replace the cap and rotor, plugs, and wires. possibly a coil too. all MSD. this is stuff thats needed replacing anyways since i know its been at least 50k miles on all of it, and probably a lot more. what exactly should i be looking for in the opti as far as signs of a problem?

Quick Reply: help - turns over but won't fire up