Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

no f-body content--Anybody know anything about french drains or rain water drai

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no f-body content--Anybody know anything about french drains or rain water drai

My back patio and pool keep getting flooded every time it rains. We have an area behind the house that, during the rain, is about a foot deep. Then when it gets full back there it runs onto our patio and into our pool making a huge mud puddle out of the pool. Mike can attest to that.

So what I am looking for is somebody that knows about drains and all that can figure out what to do and help do it. It has to be done, so if you have a company that can help please let me know. I am not expecting a freebie here. This is pretty serious because it happens every time it rains.

I am in Deland Florida.
I can be reached here, PM, email or phone 321-217-4903

Thanks in advance.
John Peacock
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take some pictures of your back yard, give me an idea what you are working with, also a simple paint drawing would help some too. you need to figure out where the water is running in from, because if that one foot deep ditch is filling up every time it rains, it is coming from somewhere.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not legal so dont advertise but you can sink a dry well into the water table
and it will drain off the surface water.
But dont go deep enough to get into the aquaifer.

A hose and a couple of sections of 4 inch pipe should work.
Its all fun in the summertime when its hot.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

my brother and cousin might be able to help you out. brother has his own landscaping/sprinkler business, cousin works for the city up here. he has
worked on everything to do with pipes and drainage. send me some pics.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

I'm gonna try and run by your house today. When will you be home? I've got an appointment at 2:15 in Winter Park, but I should be free after that.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got home. Sorry, didnt see the post til just now. I dont know how tomorrow looks, but maybe we can do something then. I am not on call next week, so maybe one evening. We have been busy at work.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a drainage system at my old place. Certain areas in the yard were low places and would end up flooded. At the 3 area's, I put drains and dug tenches to lay in some 3" PCV piping to tie the drains in and had them tied into a 4: PCV single pie which ran to my front yard where the yard was the lowest. This is where the water settled and flooded my whole front yard and front sidewalk ... evertime it rained hard, I could go in the front door.

Long story short, in the middle of this area, I dug a hole the size of a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket, cut a hole in the side of the bucket, dropped it in the ground and tied the 4" PCV pipe into the hole in the side of the bucket. This was the system. I then bought a sump pump with a built-in tether and dropped it into the bucket, attaching a water hose for the pump's outlet. When the water would run into the drains and down into the bucket, the bucket would begin to fill. Once the water level came up over the pump, it would automatically come on and pump the water out of the hole via the attached water hose, which I had buried a couple inches under the surface of the ground. The system took care of all my problems. I'd be glad to do you up a rough drawing of the system I came up with. It worked very well. If you only have the one area, then, all you need is to dig hole and drop a 5 gallon bucket in it and put a sump pump in in as described above.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Jeb, where would the waterhose drain too? That sounds like a cost effective and easy system to install and everything.

City of Deland will not allow draining to city drainage, and John's problem if I remember correctly is actually the back swale of the ENTIRE subdivision, and the neighboring lot being higher in elevation then his property. When the pool was installed, no-one considered the potential drainage issue of the water coming from the higher elevations out in the backyard. So you have the water from the pool deck which in theory drains out towards the back door, AND the drainage swale from the subdivision out the back door which when it floods, is wanting to flood INTO his pool deck.

I gather there is ALOT of water to flood this area, easily way over 5 gallons. I'm gonna to inspect the property, hopefully later today and see what solutions I can come up with.

John, what's your schedule like today?
Old 09-15-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

... sorry I did not make it clear. The 5 gallon bucket is only to put the pump in ... once it fills up halfway, the pump takes over and pumps something like 25 gallons per minute (forget the actually capacity, but, would depend on the size of the sump pump). The bucket does not fill up because the pump flows the water through the hose to where you want to run the hose. Myself, I ran it to the nearest storm drain in the front by the street. The top of the bucket is at ground level so you can affix the lid on the bucket to keep it covered. It worked great thjrough all the hurricanes the past 6 years.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I gotcha, that filled in the gaps. But here's the major problem. If his city ever finds out about the drainage going to the public storm drain, then they will have a fit, and heavy fines would come about from Code Enforcement. Then everything would need to be pulled up and we are back to square one.

I'm trying to find a way to drain somewhere else.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Understood ... good luck man. I'd call the City and see what your legal options are, then. My old house was like this when I bought it, so, since 1988, nobody knew or cared.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well again, I missed the post today. For some reason I am not getting any emails when I get a new post. Jason, next time you might have time to come by, give me a call. I dont always get a chance to look on here.

I found that if I leave the screen door open on the oposite side of my pool deck from the flooding area it drains fine. So I did a lot of digging today. It appears that the only option I have is to drain it back the way it was before the pool was installed. The swell that holds the water in place was put there to bring the yard up the the height of the back of the pool area where the hot tub is. In doing so it blocked the natural flow of the water. If the swell was not there, the water would have natrurally drained into the neigbors yard, then the next, then the next, so if we knock the swell down the water will go back to he way it was before we installed the pool. I started digging a ditch that boarders the pool deck that we plan on filling with rock. This will restore the water flow back the way it was origionally and hopefully fix the problem. Or at least make it better. We dug about a 4' by 6' by about 2' deep hole right beside the flooded side of the deck. Then we took a post hole digger and dug down another 3' in 4 areas. Filled that area with rock, but ran out of rock. We then dug a ditch about 2' out from the deck all along the back trying to slowly drop the grade in the ditch toward the low part on the other side of the swell. I plan on finishing this up and installing a perferated 6" pipe on the bottom and filling it up with rock. Then if that doesnt work I am going to put another large hole filled with rock on the other side of the pumps for the pool.

So I have a plan. I guess we will see if it works. I gotta get rock delivered. Cant get much in the back of my Father's S10.

Quick Reply: no f-body content--Anybody know anything about french drains or rain water drai