Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me about Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Educate me about Camshafts

Okay, I know how a cam works, opening the valves and what not. But I am interested in getting an aftermarket camashaft and do not know what is best for me. I have looked at some and there are a lot of numbers, none of which I know what the hell they are talking about. I hear a lot of terms like reverse split, custom grind, etc... Can anyone lead me somewhere where I can be educated about LS1 camshafts, or post some info yourself. Thanks a lot guys
Old 05-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Educate me about Camshafts

Well the important things are LIFT, DURATION, and LSA (lobe separation angle.) LIFT is how far the valve will open in inches off it's seat, DURATION is how long the valve will be open measured in crankshaft degrees, and LSA is how many degrees are between the intake and exhaust centerlines. A reverse split cam has a different lobe shape for the intake than the exhaust with more duration on the intake to help motors that have more restriction in the intake tract than they do in the exhaust system. A custom grind is a cam pattern that is not "off the shelf;" you actually tell the grinder the specs you want the cam made to. BTW, Comp cams will do this for no extra charge, but their normal charge is a bit higher than others.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you know how much lift and duration are optimal for your application?
Old 05-31-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.compcams.com/information/tutorials/
Old 06-01-2003, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I read some stuff about it. Still kinda iffy but I have a better idea. Now the most important question of them all. what camshaft should I get. I'm looking to get stage 2 heads in the future. I'm looking for some mid-range power. Is it true if I want low-end power, I would have a greater "overlap" and sacrifice fuel economy ? I need it for a street vehicle, rarely going to the strip. I also like the rough idle sound, but not too rough. Is there anything like this? Thanks
Old 06-01-2003, 04:01 AM
TECH Regular

a TR 224 on a 112 LS would be good, and not too aggressive.

Cam is the "brain" of the motor. it dictates many things. Important choice. Don't be in a hurry. talk to people, call speed shops. figure out what YOU want--and be sure, then call some shops and communicate that effectively to them, then listen/decide.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you need to be able to pass emissions? Maybe a TR220 114 would make it easier. Call Paul at Thunder. >>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-01-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

So cams will affect whether or not I pass emissions. Yes I do. Is that because they make the engine richer or leaner?
Old 06-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No that's because the more intake and exhaust duration you have, the more overlap time there is when both intake and exhaust are open at the same time. This causes the exhaust to be contaminated with some raw fuel/air mixture, increasing emissions. Cam's make LS1's run rich, but a good PCM (computer) tune takes care of that. A TR224 on 114 LSA would probably be the most you would want to go and still pass emissins. A TR220 would be a safer choice for pasing emissions, but produce about 10 hp less.