Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Detailing Machine-the first trial

Before:

After Ultimate Detailing Machine use:

The process:
http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...Machine%20test

We finally got a chance to try this machine out for ourselves using the taped section of the hood on our '99 S-10 pick-up.

After removing the light dirt from the area, we clay bar the surface to remove any contaminants. As you see, we removed as much in this small section as I have removed from entire vehicles.

I wanted to see how much this machine can do compared to a high speed rotary polisher. Its orbital action is considerably smoother than the Porter Cable even at speed 6. I have equipped our machine a yellow 6" "medium cutting" yellow foam pad on the stock 5" velcro backing plate. We also noticed no additional vibration when using the larger 6.5" Lake Country CCS foam pads during this trial. For this test, we selected the 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound to remove the spider scratches from the surface. This combo can lead to some micro-marring as it levels the surface. It's important to work the machine with pad flat on surface. No more than 10-15 pounds of down force pressure are necessary to achieve results. We used speeds between 5-6 on the UDM. Manufacturer claims of up to 20% more power as compared to similar machines have been reported. Even though one might be tempted to use this after wet-sanding, I would still use the rotary polisher for removal of directional sanding lines after wet sanding for time efficiency.

After completion of the yellow/3M combo, some mild micro-marring is evident. Switching to the moistened LC orange CCS "cutting/polishing foam pad, we now use the TC-8 Swirl Cutter for treating the micro-marring and holograms on the surface. Lightly misting the surface will minimize dusting while breaking down the product on the surface. This will also help in prevent any additional micro-marring infliction or "dry-buffing" problems. We do note that the on/off switch is somewhat sensitive in this configuration. It is being addressed by the manufacturer when each unit purchased machine is registered for warranty.

When satisfied with restored surface conditions, then you can move to application of last step products such as glazes, waxes, and sealants.

If you 're looking for that little extra measure of performance but without the fear of burning the clear coat, this is the machine for you. I ran the machine without the use of the handle and experienced no problems. We intend to offer the choice of both the UDM-1000 at $149.00 and the Porter Cable 7424 starting at $119.00 to our customers. Either one makes an excellent choice.

For questions and comments regarding both machines and accessories, reach us at steve@tropi-care.com or call toll-free at (866)341-0050.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by Steve@Tropi-Care; 09-11-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

fixed it for you:

Before:

After:

Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this better than the 7424?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Is this better than the 7424?
Depending on what you read on various forums, you'll see opinions that one is better than the other. Check out Autopia's forum section dedicated to discussion about the UDM.

The PC 7424 has been a very popular offering and with reliable performance for us during our use. With our limited use to date of the UDM, we have been impressed with its capabilities so far.

For someone who has maintained their finish reasonably well, the PC 7424 will be just fine. But for someone who has more stubborn blemishes, the UDM can be a very effective choice for their first machine.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought the two were pretty identical when comparing the two. I was under the impression that the UDM was just a rebadge generic version of the PC.

What makes it different?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here are couple of pics with the 2 machines side by side:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ailing+Machine
They do exhibit a number of strong similarities.

We have only used the UDM a short time and are determining its capabilities at this point. So far, I have noticed a little smoother rotation at higher speeds and slightly more power compared to the PC. Continued use will tell if it is indeed improved over PC performance.

This is the forum devoted to in-depth discussion of the UDM:
http://autopia.org/forum/ultimate-detailing-machine/
Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say that it is basically the same just much more powerful.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Detailing Machine-the first trial