Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 camaro tb sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 camaro tb sticking

im driving home today from work and i get on the throttle a bit ( not quite wot ) and it sticks on me ( seems like wot as the rpms went way up after putting it into neutral (m6) so i shut it off really quick. went to start it again and sure enough its still stuck. so i turn it off again and check under the hood and move the throttle cable manually. after i start it again and make it home ok. when i got home i pulled the throttle cable from the tb and operated the tb manually and it wouldnt stick, also the cable didnt seem to be getting caught on anything as i moved it in and out the cable loom. its a stock tb and almost stock tune with just timing added. i cant figure out why it would do this. im more familiar with the dbw but figured there could be less culprits for this on a dbc. any ideas ?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

any help please?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

try to clean the inner part of the tb with some cleaner..i know i had build up on the back of my blade that casued me to do this some times..
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the tps sensor itself gone bad .
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

why would the sensor cause this? since its cable driven is it still controlled by the pcm?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
im driving home today from work and i get on the throttle a bit ( not quite wot ) and it sticks on me ( seems like wot as the rpms went way up after putting it into neutral (m6) so i shut it off really quick. went to start it again and sure enough its still stuck. so i turn it off again and check under the hood and move the throttle cable manually. after i start it again and make it home ok. when i got home i pulled the throttle cable from the tb and operated the tb manually and it wouldnt stick, also the cable didnt seem to be getting caught on anything as i moved it in and out the cable loom. its a stock tb and almost stock tune with just timing added. i cant figure out why it would do this. im more familiar with the dbw but figured there could be less culprits for this on a dbc. any ideas ?
Did it pull like it was WOT while it was still in gear? The reason I ask is; it's a lot harder to reason with it sticking in a WOT position than it being stuck open just enough to have your idle be really high (which wouldn't take much throttle position).

If the TPS were faulty (and not the butterfly staying open) it would still take air to make the motor turn up.

It's a pretty simple set-up .. a cable, spring and 2 small bearings. Nothing else moves. If you can't feel cable bind then it's most likely "trash" preventing your butterfly to fully close (the engine has probably already ingested the evidence )
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

I think what he's meaning is the TPS having a "hangup" in it, not turning smoothly. When I see TPS starting to go bad to the point of that its just comin apart on the inside and when you take it off the guts just come out of the sensor.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

well i looked in the tb blade and it is pretty clean. and it does this once in a while when i rev it in neutral or go wot. which is the tps sensor and is it common for going bad? the car only has 30k on it.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 AM
10 Second Club

it's the sensor that's opposite the throttle cam. It reads throttle position off of the shaft (the end of the butterfly shaft is actually encased by the TPS). Just 2 screws/small bolts as I recall.