LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

NEED HELP tail light will not light up out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP tail light will not light up out of ideas

Well of course one of my bulbs on the 94 went out so i went to replace the right turning signel in the rear and its not doing anything with the new bulb i put a 12v tester to it and checked all fuses and nothing so what am i left to do?

the cars a 1994 lt1 m6 if that helps
Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So are you getting voltage on the socket? I had issues with the sockets on mine. You might have to replace the sockets.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I first got mine none of the rear lights worked...pull the sockets check the ground wires to each one and clean all the corrosion from them...or replace the socket.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blinker switch? See if voltage is leaving it or allowing the circuit to be completed. Start from the front and work your way back.

I always hope they won't get corroded back there, but I always seem to have moisture in my right side lens. There a good way to seal moisture out??
Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Blinker switch? See if voltage is leaving it or allowing the circuit to be completed. Start from the front and work your way back.

I always hope they won't get corroded back there, but I always seem to have moisture in my right side lens. There a good way to seal moisture out??
Make sure the rubber seals are in good shape. If your getting moisture, it could be from a small crack somewhere(possibly in the lamp housing itself), or a seal leaking in one of the sockets. Unfortunately if one socket leaks it can spoil a lot of the others with corrosion. I had hell with moisture until I just bought new tail assembly's.

Like said completely disassemble the sockets and clean corrosion off. Determine if you have proper ground, and voltage from other wires via voltmeter after cleaning. If you dont, trace wiring back toward front of car. The little clip style connectors compress to come out of the plastic housing, so you can use narrow tool to compress while pulling the wire. Also you can pull out the metal ring that grounds the bulbs and clean it also, after other wires are disconnected. It seems that the ground is easy to get corroded on these connectors.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I think I will pick up new seals. I got the 97+ harness when I did the 97+ lenses, didn't look too bad in the sockets. I just hate how it looks when you get moisture in there.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
yeah I think I will pick up new seals. I got the 97+ harness when I did the 97+ lenses, didn't look too bad in the sockets. I just hate how it looks when you get moisture in there.
Are you saying that you dont have all of the bulb socket holes filled?

I asked the dealer if they sold the seals alone, and they make you buy the total assembly and it is expensive to get them all. I would def go to a junkyard on those. I really doubt that your seals are not working though, but think you might have a hairline fracture in the housing somehow. You can always use Vaseline around them to see if they are really the problem. It would be a temp fix and help you pinpoint the water entry point.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Teching In

well i tryed to fix the light and the small turning signal still wont work i tryed getting the clips out but no good i just wound up ripping the wires out so were would be a good place to order a new socket from?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say hit up the junk yard, or your going to have to go to the stealership. When you are pulling on the wires, you have to compress the terminal that is at the end of each wire. If you do not, your going to do that everytime. Once you get those out, then you can pull that ring out and sand it or clean it.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP tail light will not light up out of ideas