General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP!!! brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP!!! brake pads

Im going to get to the point,I started to change my front brake pads on my ls1 and when I took off the caliper and old pads my stupid little cousin hops in the drivers seat and starts pressing the brakes.So when I go to use the c clamp to depress the brake pistons they don't want to go down!!!I did the passenger side brakes and attempted to do the drivers side but the pistons wont go down with the c clamp....does anybody know any other way they might go down??? need my car tomorrow for work.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Put the pads back in (to keep the pistons from hyperextending, might not be necessary but just in case). Start the car up, push the brake pedal a couple times, shut it off. Should even things back out so you can use the C clamp to compress the pistons.

I'm no pro brake guy but that is what I'd do and it worked for me once.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

finally got them to depress!!! had to remove brake line,when I put the brake line back on it was leaking a little bit but then it stopped ,then it did it again and stopped is this normal???
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure both washers are on the brake line.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

next time just open the bleader screw up. It'll be much easier than taking off the brake line. Either way you're gonna have to bleed the brakes.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

where's the bleader screw???I went for a drive to break in the breaks and the e-brake light turned on.what does it mean when the brake light turns on???
Old 09-11-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

it's on the caliper itself. It's a small screw with like a 8 or 7mm size. You did bleed the brakes after you took the lines off right?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

no I didn't,I just checked under my car and the line is still leaking.I don't know why if I put both washers back on and screwed it back on tight
Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
where's the bleader screw???I went for a drive to break in the breaks and the e-brake light turned on.what does it mean when the brake light turns on???
Your very low on brake fluid when that light comes on... If your leaking brake fluid that badly PARK IT you need to check and make sure the brake line is correctly installed to the caliper before you drive that anywhere.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

filled it up with some brake fuild_no more brake light

took off brake line again because it was leaking and put it back on TIGHT_NO more leaks so far,I also put some rtv just in case

and I also bleeded the brake line
Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

how did you bleed the brake lines? did u take the time to do all four and start from the furthest wheel away from the master cylinder (right rear)? Brakes are not a thing you want to fail on you.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Don't use RTV on a brake connection!
Clean that stuff off and use new copper crush seals/washers on the brake hose connection. You can get new copper crush seals/washers from any auto parts store. Now you have to worry about whether any of that RTV traveled into the system plugging something up.... this could end badly and expensive.

When you've fixed that, bleed the entire braking system. Air could have traveled.

If you search on here, you'll find plenty of threads with instructions and tips on brake bleeding procedure. (Search in the Suspension & Braking section.)

Like said above, don't drive the car until you get the brakes fixed properly.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-12-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say rebuild the calipers if the pistons came out, and if there still leaking!! the seals around the pistons probly went out and bleed the damm brakes that is a major role in changing your brakes
Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude if you do you're own brakes but ask what/where the bleeder screw is, you either need to read a "how to do your brakes" before you take a wrench to them or have someone else do them otherwise you're gonna crash.

you can't put rtv on the banjo bolt threads (that's the bolt going through the brake hose fitting holding the hose to the caliper) or on the crush washers on each side of the banjo. Nothing else is compatible with brake fluid so you most likely contaminated the brake fluid in that caliper, it's going to boil sooner when you run the brakes hard, leave sediment in the caliper, and cause the seals on the piston in the caliper to fail sooner. There's on the order of 1000-3000 psi of fluid pressure in the brake system. The banjo bolt gets tightened to 40 lb-ft, which is probably tighter than you can get it with a handheld wrench. You need a tq wrench, and need 2 fresh crush washers on each side, the correct seal is made by first having everything clean, fresh crush washers, then torqing the bolt to the proper amount to crush the crush washers properly. The crush washers are only good once, that's how they work. Once crushed, if you remove or loosen the fitting you need a new crush washer. Then you need to bleed the brakes, properly, so there's no air in the calipers and lines otherwise you'll have a spongy feeling brake pedal. Google how to do your own brakes, there's plenty of good writeups and it is not hard but you do need to know what you're doing.