Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wow hardest t56 I ever removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wow hardest t56 I ever removed

So I was swapping my FLT T56 into my new SS this sunday and could not remove it. Had all the bolts out and trans ready to drop in a 1/2 hr, this being the 5th swap ive done in a f body. I go to pull it out and it wont budge. so after a hour of messing around i get it to move about a 1/4" so I call in some help so a buddy and I pulled and pryed and kicked and swore alot and only got it to slide out about 3/4". Well i gave up and started again today I unbolted the bell housing and that would slide at all. Well I messed with that for an hour and got it loose, so I loosend the pressure plate bolts and droped the whole thing as one unit. Well the pilot bearing was stuck to the input shaft not allowing trans to slide out due to not getting past the clutch disk. What a PITA but good news is I dont have to fight with getting the pilot out!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Did the bearing seize onto the shaft?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

And would a seized pilot bearing cause clutch disengagement issues?

It took me forever to get my T56 in when I changed my clutch and I fear I may have ruined my pilot bearing cuz my car hasn't shifted correctly even before that clutch change (which revealed a loose FW bolt from a shop installation).

Quick Reply: Wow hardest t56 I ever removed