Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram PG HD issue

Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram PG HD issue

Just thought I would let everyone know what I have found out over the last several days while working on my uncles Ram Air.
I read on here and we determined that the clutch in the thread title was the way to go. Ordered it from Texas Speed, (got to me right when they said it would, good service) Anyway, we decided to re-use the stock fly wheel because it not only says we could on the Texas Speed site but also on Ram's site. After a couple calls to Ram because the measurements don't match up to the directions I was told by the guy at Ram that we couldn't use the stock flywheel because the clutch material would eat it up. I explained that the web sites were not in agreement with what he told me and he said that they probably needed to update that. So keep that in mind if you have issues.
Also, I wanted to give you some of the measurements that we have found and measurements you need to check during install.
Crank flange to outside of fingers on the clutch when torqued down needs to be between 2.750" and 2.900". (This came straight from Ram's tech support) With the stock flywheel on my uncles car it is 3.200". The instructions that come with the clutch say that the variance is .600 to .700". With the above measurements this number is actually .950". The shim that comes with the kit would actually add .165" to this putting it further out of tolerance.
Now the problem that I see with this. It is advertised as a direct bolt in. If we had not checked and just installed the clutch, it would never fully engage from what I see. It might hold to a certain extent, but I would guess that this would lead to premature clutch failure.
Let me know your thoughts or if I'm missing something.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe thats why mine didn't last. Good post.

I had 2500 miles TOPS on my RAM Powergrip HD with the factory flywheel.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Good info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram PG HD issue