General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking noise at start up - sounds like its coming from under the heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise at start up - sounds like its coming from under the heads

So I just bought a bone stock 99 z28 with 125k about 2 weeks ago. Strictly as a weekend ride. I plan on doing most of the bolt on's here in the near future. Just wanted to get it seafoamed and do a full tune up - basically make sure its running smooth before I start modding. Anyhow, getting to my post; when I fire her up, I hear a squeaking noise coming from under the heads - it goes away after 5mins of driving. Some posts I've read had the same problem, only it was a ticking noise and others responded "maybe bad lifters". What do you guys think the problem is? What's the price range for a job like that? And how bad is it really to be driving it with this problem?

Thanks people -
Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

could be the a.i.r. check valves. When mine were going bad it sounded like a squealing noise. Sound goes away after air pump shuts off. PLus they're located pretty close to the heads.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a bearing went bad on your belt tensioner pulley. Or maybe another pulley on the belt system. Once the bearings get warmed up, the squeak goes away. Pinpoint where the sound is coming from first!