Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with LG motorsports rebuilding my trans.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems with LG motorsports rebuilding my trans.

Alright guys i dont want to do this but i want some opinions on what ive been dealing with on my car... heres the story.

I bought a 2002 camaro SS back in Janurary. It had 43k miles on it. About 4k miles after I bought it, the tranny started popping out of 3rd gear. I talked to t56rebuilds.com, RPM, LG all about the problem. They all agreeded on that it was to be rebuilt. LG was the closest shop gave me a fair price and had a good reputation as everyone knows. I pulled the tranny out myself along with my roomates and friends. 2 of them work at shops and all of them have rebuilt their own cars so we are plenty able. I got a quote from them saying it was going to be $750 race ready. They got it apart, worked on it, and quoted me $1K. So whatever I got the tranny done with steal shift fork, billet sliders and decided the extra $ would be worth it because their work would be worth it. I paid around $1k for a built tranny. Well this is where it started... within 800 miles first gear was grinding... imagine how upset I was when this started happening. After I took a few breaths and calmed down I called them. They said bring the tranny back and they'll look at it. Now I pulled it all apart again. This is the only daily driver car that I have. They get it and say that first gear is junk is fused together. They told me $500 in parts to fix it and didn't charge for labor, which I think would be reasonable considering I just paid them to work on all of the gears. By the way, THEY SAID I MISSED SHIFTED AND WENT FROM 3RD TO 1ST TO CAUSE THIS. That sounded like an excuse to put the blame on me. I hardly had the car back and 1st gear was basically welded together. I went ahead and paid the $500 and bit the bullet because I just wanted a car that works.
At this point i start having a problem with the clutch sliping so I get a new billet flywheel and spec2 pressure plate and new disc. I get my car back together again for one day now. Turns out the main seal went bad and got oil on the clutch disk. Anyways I go to the driveway this afternoon and there is a big puddle of trany fluid on the ground about 1ft in diameter after I just drove the car. It's coming from the bell housing... obviously its got to be the tranny front seal. I then called up LG tonight talked to one of their sales men about the problem...

and this is what really put me over the edge... i tell him the problem he knows me, remembers me whatever... i ask him well ya know is this going to be covered under warranty since this is now the second time i have had a problem after they have rebuilt it. he then proceeds to tell me that i probably messed it up MISS SHIFTING or durring install.

BS, first off it has 1k on it since the last time they had the trans. AND I NEVER BEAT ON IT, IT HAS A NEW CLUTCH I HAVE NEVER MISS SHIFTED IT. Second in a tech. question how can miss shifting cause the front seal to leak. i dont see it.
THEN comes the install.. it went in perfectly no problems didnt leave it hanging with no bolts or anything of the input shaft.

Now i am definatly really upset, and that is why I am posting this.

Taking into consideration everything that has happened, and the idea of how reputable I thought LG was, do ya'll think that...
A. this should be covered due to them rebuilding it twice.
B. they should do me a favor and since i have giving them so much money and i have been with out a car for so long... should they pull it for me?

I hate to post this, but I just want some opinions on what to do considering all of the problems I have had. Accusing me everytime I call that i miss shifted seems wrong. This doesn't seem ethical.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if it is a bad front seal that can not be done installing it????? You didn't touch it. Installing a front seal is done from inside the transmission. If it is what is bad they should fix it and cover the cost. As for them paying to have it pulled, our policy and warrantys do not cover that either. However, I have yet to have a customer call me about a front seal leaking after we did a rebuild.

This is a tough one. They should fix it at no cost especially since missing a shift and installing it in the car can not cause a seal to go bad. Not putting in fluid can but not missing a shift.

Also what about 1st gear cost you $500. Even with the gear, slider and mainshaft it doesn't add to $500? I would question what they replaced just because that is aweful high and they should have noticed a problem when they were in it the first time.

Missing 1 shift does not weld gears together. This situation just does not sound right to me.

Amber
Six Speeds Inc./T56Rebuilds.com
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

For the technical aspect:
-Only a compete retard would shift from 3rd to 1st, so I doubt that was the case.
-Gears dont fuse together from missing a shift once or twice.
-Mis shifting has nothing to do with the front trans seal leaking.
-The front seal is not even touched during installation of the trans.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-13-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, There are always two sides to every story.

We never said we would not fix it, Anthony said that HE could not be the one that made that call. Lou or myself would have to make that call, and only after we saw the problem. Until then, we cannot determine if there is a hole in the front cover or if we really did something wrong.

The last time we saw this tranny was over a month ago.

You just put a clutch in it as well, and had RPM bleed it.

How do I know that something related to that clutch install didnt cause the leak? I dont, not until I get it apart.

See where we are coming from? Bring me the car, I dont want just the tranny. If its our fault, we pay for it. If it isnt, you pay for it. Its as simple as that.

Ive seen videos of you racing online, so you cant tell me with a straight face that you dont beat on it. You also had issues with your hondas 3rd gear, so we are a bit skeptical when it comes to this issue. As a business owner, you have to be, otherwise you will not be in business for long.

Give me a call and we can figure something out. We are not in the business to burn people. We charge a fair price for the work we do and we stand behind our work.

Thanks

Louis
Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

well louis thats what he wanted to hear... he just wanted to shed some light on the situation and get yalls attention.

but 100% you have not seen this car racing on the internet if you have please show us cause someone stole it and was out racing it and put it back... and its not my car as in the owner was using my screen name.

Last edited by 87fierose; 09-13-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

Its impossible for the installer to screw up the front seal . It might be leaking due to a miss alignment from the engine to the trans or an issue with the pilot bearing running the inputshaft out of alignment but thats a long shot . More than likely the building caught the lip of the seal with the inputshaft tip when building it . If the puddle is clear like hydraulic/brake fluid its not from the trans . If its the color of the trans fluid , its from the trans .

As for the 1st gear welding its self to the shaft , that sounds like something was put together wrong or somehow the bearing under the 1st gear got wadded up with the snap ring that holds the 1/2 hub in place . $500.00 is pretty stout for just parts but I guess it depends on where you get them from and what all was infact messed up .

**** happens but you just have to work through it and as said before , they are two sides to every story . Good luck working it out ........