LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

$5k to burn

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5k to burn

What do I do? I can't really do the work myself since I need it to be done quickly and done right the first time, as this is my only car. Keep the cost of labor in mind when offering suggestions. Here are my options-

1. Keep my car, do bolt ons/ suspension plus some cosmetic stuff (hood, paint)

2. Sell my car and use the money to buy a bolt on LS1.

3. Keep saving (another year or so) and get a C5
Old 09-12-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Modding that Lt1 thats an idea..I mean unless you like the Ls1 body style better. I've owned 2nd,3rd,4th (Ls1 & Lt1 cars) and I'm in the same place as you trying figure out weither to sale this 95 z28 to get an Ls1 but with 5g's you could make some real power. you could be making more power than a bolt on ls1 with that cash
Old 09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

i would go with number one.. mod that bitch bolt ons gears stall
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

sell it for something more reliable. the c5 or an ls1 fbody
Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

If I keep it I want to swap to a Delteq set up. That's a huge chunk right there. On top of that, my brakes were already broken in for me when I bought it 3 years ago. Somehow, they're still working. They can't last forever, though. I would upgrade. I'm thinking though, why bother when I can just get an LS1 used with some bolt ons? Better brakes, no opti spark and more power. I could just throw caution to the wind and get an LE2 package with some supporting mods, but I can't imagine my clutch or rear lasting much longer. I'm not looking for a 9 second car or anything. 12's would be awesome, 11's would be better, but I'm not only concerned with power. I used to have an 88 Formula with t tops and I loved it. My car now is a hard top and I regret it. I'm thinking I might go LS1. It just makes more sense. I just have tons of anxiety with selling my car. My front and rear bumpers are faded (they're a darker shade of red than the rest of the car), I have a small scrape on the passenger's side door and the A/C and heat don't work. Plus I have to replace the power antenna and shift boot which aren't a big deal. I guess it's just easier to say "screw it" and keep my car, but I think it would be best if I sold it. The fact that it has 105,000 miles on it won't help much.

I guess it wouldn't even be worth it to sell for a C4, would it? I'd still have to deal with the opti, but I could get a targa top, a great handling car, plus I'd be driving something which is 400lbs lighter than my car now.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Storms of War
If I keep it I want to swap to a Delteq set up. That's a huge chunk right there. On top of that, my brakes were already broken in for me when I bought it 3 years ago. Somehow, they're still working. They can't last forever, though. I would upgrade. I'm thinking though, why bother when I can just get an LS1 used with some bolt ons? Better brakes, no opti spark and more power. I could just throw caution to the wind and get an LE2 package with some supporting mods, but I can't imagine my clutch or rear lasting much longer. I'm not looking for a 9 second car or anything. 12's would be awesome, 11's would be better, but I'm not only concerned with power. I used to have an 88 Formula with t tops and I loved it. My car now is a hard top and I regret it. I'm thinking I might go LS1. It just makes more sense. I just have tons of anxiety with selling my car. My front and rear bumpers are faded (they're a darker shade of red than the rest of the car), I have a small scrape on the passenger's side door and the A/C and heat don't work. Plus I have to replace the power antenna and shift boot which aren't a big deal. I guess it's just easier to say "screw it" and keep my car, but I think it would be best if I sold it. The fact that it has 105,000 miles on it won't help much.

I guess it wouldn't even be worth it to sell for a C4, would it? I'd still have to deal with the opti, but I could get a targa top, a great handling car, plus I'd be driving something which is 400lbs lighter than my car now.
kinda sounds like you have already made up your mind about getting rid of your car.. i guess you should just start focusing on which car you want to upgrade to?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slowZinthe513
kinda sounds like you have already made up your mind about getting rid of your car.. i guess you should just start focusing on which car you want to upgrade to?
I tend to flop around and have a hard time sticking to one idea. I really like my car, but there are so many things coming my way that I'd prefer not to deal with, it would probably be best for me to sell. Unfortunately, the money is inheritance from a relative. There might be more coming, so I guess it would be best to start fixing what's wrong now so when the time comes, I can either keep it and already have it in decent shape, or I can just sell it.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

its sounds like your ready to get rid of your LT1 so either save up or trade your car in for an LS1 AND put like 4grand with the trade and do some boltons with the other $1000
Old 09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you decide to go ls1 i would wait another year and get a c5. obviously ls1 is a better engine with better ignition setup, however my preference with camaro's is with the LT1 bodystyle. i would save and get a c5 before i bought an ls1 camaro, just my opinion.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Teching In

C4 vettes are pretty cool. my dad had a 92 with a little bit of work to it and i thought it was pretty quick. I think it'd be hard to choose between the LS1 and a C4 vette.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

i built my turbo kit for 5k....

I want a c5 zo6 next..
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, it would be foolish to jump ship and trade for an LS1 Camaro at this point. Mark my words: the artificially high street value that the 4th Gen LS1 Camaro's have maintained is going to go up in smoke when the 5th Gen Camaro hits the streets late next year. Once the distinction of being "the newest thing out with the best technology" goes bye bye, I think the LT1 4th Gens are going to start getting back some of the thunder that was stolen from them.

I say build what ya got.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
IMO, it would be foolish to jump ship and trade for an LS1 Camaro at this point. Mark my words: the artificially high street value that the 4th Gen LS1 Camaro's have maintained is going to go up in smoke when the 5th Gen Camaro hits the streets late next year. Once the distinction of being "the newest thing out with the best technology" goes bye bye, I think the LT1 4th Gens are going to start getting back some of the thunder that was stolen from them.

I say build what ya got.
Iwant more pull up top in addition to a whole bunch of other things the LS1 has to offer. Bone stock LS1's often dyno at 300 hp to the wheels or more. My car pulled 255. LS1's have pull up top too, unlike my car which pulls hard down low, but not as hard up top (and no, I've been through it a million times, my car doesn't have any mechanical issues causing that, it just doesn't have power up top). I figure, by the time up upgrade to a Delteq set up, upgrade my brakes, do some exhaust work and maybe cam it, I'll have spent more than I would if I just got an LS1 to be at the same level. I still won't have t tops, my car won't look as good and on top of that, LSX parts are interchangable. Not all of them, but you can have an LS1 with an LS2 intake and an LS7 clutch. You just can't do that with LT1's. That's another thing. My clutch feels fine, but I've got 104 k miles on my car. They're all highway miles so there's not too much wear and tear on the clutch, but it can't last forever. That's another expensive upgrade if I want anything aside from the stock clutch and flywheel.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

I love my car for what it is, but it's not an LS1. get an LS1.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

What do I do? I can't really do the work myself since I need it to be done quickly and done right the first time, as this is my only car. Keep the cost of labor in mind when offering suggestions. Here are my options-

1. Keep my car, do bolt ons/ suspension plus some cosmetic stuff (hood, paint)

2. Sell my car and use the money to buy a bolt on LS1.

3. Keep saving (another year or so) and get a C5

If your a year away from getting a C5 man i would so hold out. Idk i love my f-bodies, but i could see myself getting into a vette or something else as well. Always exciting to try something different. I would wait and get a vette, especially if your only a year or so away.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nads06111
I love my car for what it is, but it's not an LS1. get an LS1.
I hear you on that. I put my car in 3rd to get onto an entrance ramp and slowly but steadily drive the gas pedal down. Puts a smile on my face every time. I should take it to the track or something, but I really want something more powerful and more efficient. My LT1 moves, but not as well as I'd like it to.

I'm always looking at pictures of C5's online. My grandma says it's like **** to me lol. She always tells my girlfriend that she doesn't have to worry about me cheating, unless it's with a Vette. I think that would be the most logical move. When I get a C5, people are going to need to use brute force to get me out of it. I'll never want to get out on my own. I have a feeling I'm going to pack on a few pounds when I finally get this car lol
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 AM
12 Second Club

it depends man..how many miles are on your car? If you have under 80,000; id say mod it. If you have more, crate in another motor.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

but I've got 104 k miles on my car.
that aint nothin
Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
it depends man..how many miles are on your car? If you have under 80,000; id say mod it. If you have more, crate in another motor.
Im going to go ahead and completely disagree with this advice.

80K miles isn't dick.
LT1's run strong with 150K-180K miles with stock parts.

At higher miles, when you get to 120K+ and you feel its time to make a choice, that is a great time to rebuild the motor, and at the same time have the heads ported, revamp the valvetrain and throw in a cam.

By that time you should have all the supporting bolt ons.
Also, it would be a great idea to replace all the seals/gaskets, maybe bearings and pushrods, things like that while your already in the motor.

But saying to not mod after 80K miles is exactly the opposite of logical thinking IMO.

Last edited by burnzilla; 09-14-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would invest in the stock market or get some savings bonds. Let that money make you money Look to the future homie

Quick Reply: $5k to burn